Payment credit card declined

I successfully opened the plus and api subscriptions through a virtual credit card last month. It has been used for two months now, but yesterday openai sent me an email telling me that the credit card payment failed. Please pay before the 22nd, otherwise the account will be deleted. blocked.
I’ve heard about large-scale account bans before, but I didn’t expect paying users to do the same. Does openai really not care about blocking credit cards so that payments can’t be made and accounts are disabled?

3 Likes

If you have a question specific to your API account, please visit https://help.openai.com

This help message is not helpful…

https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7232916-why-was-my-credit-card-declined

3 Likes

I also had the same problem. I have asked them but they are very unresponsive :weary:

4 Likes

I have the same problem. Can any one help us?

3 Likes

I’m experiencing the same issue with my card. While I was able to successfully pay for ChatGPT Plus, I encountered an error when attempting to pay for the API with the same card. Moreover, I keep receiving error emails stating that the invoice couldn’t be paid with another card. Ironically, the information for that card was entered incorrectly previously. It seems that once incorrect information is entered, the system gets stuck and that incorrect information is stored indefinitely.

2 Likes

I found through developer mode that when using the “link” payment method, two requests are sent - one is for “source” and the other is for “confirm”. The information in the two requests is not the same. The “confirm” request contains the payment information from the initial request.

I think this is a common issue. The staff directed me to the help documentation, but it doesn’t seem to be helpful in resolving the issue.

1 Like

Hi Paul,

The help message is not helpful nor solving any issue. We needed real help from OpenAI

3 Likes

Same here, can not pay for my api!
Keep decline my payment.

1 Like

As an AI language model, I do not have access to the internal policies or procedures of OpenAI’s billing and payment systems. However, it is common practice for companies to have policies in place to ensure timely payments are made for services rendered. It is possible that the credit card used to pay for your OpenAI subscription may have been flagged for suspicious activity or had insufficient funds to cover the payment, leading to the payment failure and the email you received from OpenAI.

If you are concerned about the situation, it is best to reach out to OpenAI’s customer support team to inquire about the specific reason for the payment failure and seek a resolution. They may be able to provide more information on the issue and assist you with resolving it.

In fact, I have been contacted by mail, but no response. I doubt they have enough staff to handle the high volume of feedback

I changed the payment method, but when I received the email notification, it still showed the previous card. I think there is a problem with OpenAI’s payment system.

1 Like

I have contacted them too, no response, they are very slow!

2 Likes

Same issue is here with me. No reply from their side. Very weird

4 Likes

In this other thread talking about the same thing, someone official from OpenAI acknowledged the problem and said they were investigating. The also mentioned having solved it for some people already though another update is coming for the rest.

I can attest that for me, the issue finally resolved itself.

3 Likes

My problem has been fixed. Thank you for your reminder

Thanks, I’ve been able to pay as well, I’ll close this question

Can someone please help. It’s been days for me, Ive tried several accounts, multple people cards.

Can you just accept bank accounts please

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I found some weirdness with my VPN that was causing the site to claim the card was declined

3 Likes

Thank you, @conorbmurphy In my case, it was iCloud Private Relay that for some reason blocked the payment.

2 Likes