ChatGPT `Google Log in` is broken

I’m encountering a strange issue where my browsers (Chrome and Firefox on Ubuntu 22.04) prevent me from logging in to chatgpt dot com. Here’s how I can consistently reproduce the problem:

1. Open the browser and clear all history and cache, ensuring all site data and settings for chatgpt dot com and openai dot com are deleted.
  2. Visit chatgpt dot com and click the Log in button in the top right corner.
  3. Click Continue with Google.
  4. The browser becomes unresponsive indefinitely with the spinner rotating continuously. The Google login page never appears.
  5. Even after reopening the browser or restarting the computer, chatgpt dot com fails to load and the browser remains stuck indefinitely.
  6. Only way to get back is to start from step 1

Last week, I noticed that my browser was redirected to /SetSID and became stuck there. However, starting this week, it gets stuck at the /authorize URL instead.

19 Likes

If it makes you feel any better it does this for me too. Using Windows I have tried with Edge and Chrome both up to date. I clear all settings and as soon as I click “Continue with Google” it’s never ending spinny time.

3 Likes

Duplicate of:

Officially it is getting tracked with OpenAI Status - Outage on ChatGPT and API Platform

It has been 6 days without any commitment from them. OpenAI doesn’t appear to be prioritizing this critical issue. They act like a big brother, untouchable by criticism. As a paid customer, I expect a 10-day subscription waiver or a complete refund.

6 Likes

This has been affecting us for the past 2-3 days. The only current solution that I know of is clearing cache browser. This works, but only temporarily. I end up having to do it any time I get logged out.

2 Likes

Same issue here. Attempted a full cookie/site data wipe, uninstall of Chrome, and nothing has worked. This issue is only occurring with OpenAI’s Google login and it just started in the last few days. I am able to login to other OpenAI features, but not the ChatGPT interface. As soon as I hit “Continue with Google” the page begins to infinitely load and does not continue. I have another computer on a different network, and that has no problems with Chrome and signing in or out of ChatGPT.

Thankfully my premium subscription just ended so I didn’t lose access to something I paid for, otherwise I’d be much more frustrated. Temporary new account until then, I guess. I feel for those with an active subscription that simply can’t log in.

1 Like

Having the same error. I can get on via the Android app. It’s been over a week for me. I tried removing the connection to Openai from my Google profile. I’ve got the login to work once or twice.

2 Likes

Same here. I can’t even log in at all right now. If I clear my cookies the site will load, but if I have attempted to log in previously ChatGPT just hangs indefinitely.

4 Likes

Taking this solution from another thread. It actually works.

Search Google for “chat openai com auth login” and click the first result. It’s the link ending in “login?amp=1”

Only use that link to access ChatGPT until they fix it. Should work every time.

2 Likes

Tried and not working for me either still endless loading loop

Try deleting all site data and cookies for ‘oauth .com’, ‘openai .com’, and ‘chatgpt .com’. Then restart your browser and try that link from the Google search.

I’ve deleted everything in the browser, tried it from a different computer, and used a different internet connection. Nothing works.

1 Like

I am also having the same problem. Clearing the cache used to work before, but not anymore! Using the login link with ?amp=1 is also not working! Do you think it will take long to fix this issue? Is there any support email?

1 Like

Wow, this is a huge nightmare. I’m logged into my wifes account. I can’t get into to get my work. Same thing. Go to chatgpt dot com one time, click on sign in with google account, it hangs (points me to a youtube ID URL, once I disconnected my gmail account it then pointed me to https slash slash accounts.google dot com/CheckCookie) and it hangs. Then any time I go to chatgpt dot com, it won’t load at all. Then clear again, repeat, same result. Huge setback.

Same issue. What can we do to get attention to this by openai?

•`_´•

1 Like

Same issue, tried the workaround of google “chat openai com auth login” and clicking that but nope… endless spinning. Paid customer. Really frustrating that it hasn’t been fixed or even prioritized.

1 Like

Same here. This is ridiculous and unacceptable. Just need to know the time to resolution.

1 Like

Same issue. I deleted my entire cokies, cache, etc… Still the same issue.

1 Like

Exactly same issue. Had deleted all cookies and tried the link with ?amp=1 parameter, still the same problem. Very disappointed with no official response from OpenAI on this as a paid user.

1 Like

Same issue here! There is clearly a problem still , things are not fully operational as they say.

1 Like

This unfortunately Didn’t work :confused:

1 Like