How to generate $1 billing?

I believe some people who had >$1 spending are complaining as well of not having GPT4 API access yet.
I’m using gpt3.5 model and the quality is awful its understanding of requests is by far inferior. I think I’ll just create that $1 charge and forget about this , moving forward to test openAI’s competitors. how many tokens does one need to exhaust to trigger that $1 charge anyway?

1 Like

The gpt-3.5-turbo-16k model is probably going to be the most “efficient” just-give-me-gpt4-already token burner at $0.003 / 1K tokens, according to the pricing page. So, $1 / $0.003 = 334 * 1K tokens = 333,334 input tokens, if I did the math correctly. (Not counting the price of generated tokens, which can be controlled with the output token limit parameter.) I was much less efficient with the text embeddings, since they cost $0.0001 / 1K tokens, but I had an actual need to fill with those while I was waiting for GPT-4 API access and I actually did need to process millions of tokens.

I think that there is $5 credit, so actually I need to spend 1,500,000 tokens. yes the payment is also on the output tokens. maybe one of them is more expensive than the other. I don’t even care, let it be $10 bill this is such a nonsense to invest time in

Will there be an announcement once GPT4 is available? Should we subscribe somewhere to be notified?

I am not sure it is practical to make an announcement for each user being onboarded, and an announcement to say that a batch has been processed would also not give any new information.

Best thing is to check regularly in the Playground for the additional models.

Are longest waiters prioritized, or is selection random? You also say “for developers” - is “developer” anyone who has an OpenAI account?

This Help Center page also needs updating - I believed I had to spend $1 so I spammed a bunch of tokens. (Yes, if read carefully, it doesn’t say “spend $1”, but that’s the implication.)

I am not familiar with the onboarding access priorities, I would imagine it’s a combination of waitlist position and API past usage.

1 Like

dear manager maybe you can edit youre lie to some True ?
becoz you saund like GPT 2.1 now :wink:

1 Like

Well, it likely doesn’t take waitlist time into account. I’ve been waiting since March after signing up and paying for usage on the API. I’m about to give up on waiting at this point.

I finally got access within the past hour and they did send an email, as promised when I first joined the waitlist in early May. Not sure if that is what you meant by “will there be an announcement”, but it seems they are notifying individuals when access is granted to them, so checking the playground might not be necessary.

(Also, I was granted access within a day of being invoiced for the past month’s usage, so it seems that the response I shared from OpenAI Support earlier in this thread was nearly true… at least in my case. I’m still a bit displeased by the shift from “join on our waitlist to get access” to “spend money with us to get access” and the fact that this was poorly communicated.)

3 Likes

this whole roll out process was completely a disaster as they had a better alternative.
they shouldn’t have promised “by the end of the month” when it’s almost 2 weeks past that date and many organizations and people, including myself, don’t have an access.
they should have let each individual know what is their number in the line. as the number goes down because openAI adding more compute resources, each individual knows how much more waiting they still have and can better plan their work plans.

2 Likes

I just created a complex prompt, on the style “give me an account of the battle of Salamis”, using max_tokens=1000 and n=128. This several times.
It will burn credits fairly quickly and you will reach an expense of more than one USD.
You will have to wait till the end of the month in order for the billing cycle to complete.

1 Like

Has anyone in this thread got access yet.
So it sounds like I do not need to create a loop to rack up my bill > $1 I just need to keep checking the playground to see if the GPT-4 models show up is that the current advice?

I’m after gpt-4-0613

I created a new account and got GPT4 from the start. I wrote my experience in this comment. How long does it take to get GPT-4 API access after you've spent $1 on API costs? - #8 by nomuhyuna

I tried but I only use .20 (cents) per day
:slight_smile:

Seems you aren’t trying hard enough…

Untitled

ChatGPT4 Access (August 1st) - #18 by tillmann worked for me

Bizarre. I generated few dollars of API calls last month. It’s the 8th of September and still no billing (and no GPT4) for me

Since there’s been some reports of rate limit errors appearing by the card services provider when people are trying to buy credits, one wonders if OpenAI had to postpone or cut back on their monthly billings or the balance amount where they produce the bill to reduce usage of their payment processor…

I wonder why the “Solved by Foxabilo in post #4” caption was added to my post, as this was not solved at all