GPT-4 is here! OpenAI's newest language model

Announcing GPT-4, a large multimodal model, with our best-ever results on capabilities and alignment: GPT-4

If you are a ChatGPT Plus subscriber, you can access GPT-4 right now! If you want access via the API, you can join the waitlist: GPT-4 API waitlist

We are also giving priority API access to those who contribute evals via: GitHub - openai/evals

Last, check out a live developer preview of GPT-4: GPT-4 Developer Livestream - YouTube

We can’t wait to see what you think and build!

57 Likes

Hello!

Im very excited for gpt4, i signed up with chatgpt+ and when i switch to the gpt4 model and ask it what it is it tells me its gpt3 and that gpt4 does not exist and it knows nothing past 2021

3 Likes

This is correct, we are aware it is doing that, see here for details on the model: OpenAI API

7 Likes

Nice! I’m hearing some devs already have API access.

Fingers crossed. I’ve got a good D&D demo up…

2 Likes

Hi, I was really hoping that GPT-4 would be compatible with the v1/completions endpoint (using text-davinci-003). I am not building a chat bot. Many other users are also not building chat bots, and there is much confusion in the community forum about this issue. Having to use v1/chat/completions and structure the inputs around 3 different roles, as if I was building a chat bot, in order to use OpenAI’s newest model, is frustrating. Can you give the community some insight as to whether GPT-4 will become available for use with the v1/completions endpoint any time soon? For people not building chat bots, the necessary changes to the code and parameters required for the v1/chat/completions endpoint take quite a bit of work and seem illogical. Obviously, we non-chat folks would much prefer not to have to make those changes. Thanks for you help.

6 Likes

Totally fair, I agree that it would be cool to have v1/completions, best thing to do would be to build around the existing chat completions and hopefully lean into the area where it can be more helpful to use the new format.

6 Likes

It’s so helpful with prompt injection, imho. Not too difficult to convert old prompts to ChatML.

I can’t wait for ChatML to be expanded upon, personally.

4 Likes

Hi. I was under the assumption that the new GPT-4 backed chatgpt+ would be capable of accessing links I give to it and using the information there as context.

However, I found this not to be true. For example:

1 Like

HI @mo0nman

Why would you have this assumption?

got-4 is a pre-trained language model like all other OpenAI LLMs and none of these models have access to the Internet.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @ruby_coder

My assumption was based on the following example shown at GPT-4

5 Likes

Agree @mo0nman that the example they gave in the announcement is confusing. I’m guessing they pasted the whole thing in the prompt and chose to abbreviate it that way. Confusing nonetheless.

7 Likes

What it actually means is that it’s capable of handling larger text unlike GPT-3. So if you copy the body of text from Wikipedia, it summarizes it well.

3 Likes

Ah I see. Thank you for the clarification @curt.kennedy and @smuzani. The ambiguity in the announcement is unfortunate and will hopefully be made clearer in the future.

I figured I would be able to give it scientific articles to summarize since it said it allowed for use cases such as “document search and analysis”.

2 Likes

after going through the description i am very much looking forward to it coming to developers to build integrated apps

1 Like

That’s meant to showcase its capabilities in really long text.

1 Like

GPT-4 is amazing and should have been the default mode for ChatGPT. Thanks for the good work.

2 Likes

Unfortunately it seems only few will be able to afford gpt4 :frowning: So, lets see what Google&co comes up with in near future.
cheers

3 Likes