How to generate $1 billing?

I have set up billing for openAI API access. but I currently don’t have GPT4 access, they say they require a successful $1 payment prior to that. This is now the 31st of Jul, what will happen tomorrow ? I don’t have anything to do with gpt3.5 so I don’t consume tokens. will that bring me tomorrow to a $0 billing, and will I lose 1 month of no gpt4 api access ? this is like the egg and chicken . what am I missing?

4 Likes

Welcome to the developer forum!

The announcement said that access to GPT-4 will be rolled out to all developers at the end of the month, it could take a few days for the rollout to reach you but you should get access soon.

2 Likes

can you please refer me to an announcement that does not require a $1 successful billing ?

from GPT-4 API general availability and deprecation of older models in the Completions API

3 Likes

It’s the end of the month, though. What’s up?

4 Likes

These kinds of updates roll out to developers, not everything happens at once, typically a roll out can take a few days to a week.

3 Likes

I understand. I am just missing an explicit statement that saying “A previous successful billing is no longer requires”. otherwise, all that was said about end of the month, may be subject to that successful billing.

2 Likes

There is no such language, because no such language is necessary. The blog post was very clear.

1 Like

still I don’t have GPT-4 API Access. Does this mean that the advice on sitting and waiting for it to open “for all developers” was bad, and indeed I should have made effort to generate a $1 bill as I suspected ?

2 Likes

Hi Lorus,

The GPT-4 API access is happening, it’s being rolled out. I’m sorry that it’s not happening quick enough for everyone., there is a finite amount of compute that’s being added to all the time, it’s a balancing act to get more developers onboarded while maintaining an acceptable performance level, please bare with it.

3 Likes

Have you heard of anyone getting it in August/official word from an employee?
Seems like no one i know has gotten it rolled out

Yes, I’ve heard from several people who have gained access and one who posted a reply from support outlining the need to balance new onboarding with usage.

1 Like

If you are unsure:

For ii = 1:100:
{Run API call with a bunch of tokens}

%% wait 10 mins to see what the cost is, check your account management page, and repeat if needed

1 Like

Strange, been waiting since may and we have credit that expires in may of next year as the grant was for one year.
Still nothing :frowning:

1 Like

With all due respect, was that not considered when openai.com announced on July 6th that all new developers would have access by the end of July?

My developer dashboard indicates that I have a paying account, and I have a valid credit card saved as my payment method. I’ve not been billed for a charge >= $1, so I understand that I don’t qualify through that method. I’ve been on the waiting list for months, and figured you were rolling out API access slowly because you needed to scale up computing power, which makes sense.

But then why announce that there would be general availability by the end of July, then say access is rolling out slowly because of load issues? Was there some setback? I think people are very frustrated with the lack of clarity and transparency in the very generic explanations. I think most would prefer an accurate explanation of when they can expect general availability, even if the timeline has been pushed back since the initial July 6 announcement.

4 Likes

The best way to view this is that now, developers no longer need to apply for GPT-4 API access, it will be granted automatically as soon as possible, I wish everyone could get access all at the same time, but if you give everyone access and the service performance drops, then developers will complain, and at the same time, if you restrict access to keep performance acceptable you again get complaints. It is being rolled and and you will get access.

2 Likes

i have already consumed 1.45$ but the gpt4 api has not been activated.

Do I have to wait for the payment to be made at the end of August?

I need access to api gpt 4!

2 Likes

From what I understand, you need to wait until you have been successfully billed once by OpenAI. So at the end of this current billing cycle, if you’re using GPT 3.5 and creating costs, you will be given access. I think.

@regorseo and @MikeG,

The $1 billing is no longer a thing. It doesn’t matter how much you’ve had in billing. That was a threshold for an earlier cohort.

They are currently adding access for more developers to gpt-4. There is nothing anyone needs to (or can) do to speed up their access to the gpt-4 model.

All that is left to do is wait.

2 Likes

Are you sure about that? I’ve had a running conversation with OpenAI Support about this through the middle of July and they indicated that:

• you must exhaust your trial credit (even if you find the GPT-3.5 API to be unusable for purpose, like the original poster and myself);
  • you must accrue at least a $0.50 charge above and beyond your trial credit so that the charge posts to your billing method;
  • the billing cycle completes at the end of the month;
  • invoices may not be issued for up to two weeks after the end of the month.

The exact quote from one of their replies is as follows:

Once your usage reaches at least $0.50, our system will trigger a charge, granting you access to GPT-4 8k and its advanced capabilities. Please note that your usage will be invoiced at the end of each calendar month. Invoices are typically issued two weeks after the end of the billing cycle. Finishing the free trial and reaching the minimum usage requirement will ensure you have seamless access to all the benefits of GPT-4 8k engine.

That particular reply was on July 12th, nearly a week after the announcement.

(In my case, I finished burning through the trial credit by generating text embeddings that I needed for some vector DBs and then burned a couple more dollars beyond on that, just to be safe. That was all done by July 22nd. So, now, I guess I “just wait”.)