Credit and debit cards declined

I am having the same problem in the UK. It takes the money from my Monzo account and then refunds it. However, one of the charges has not been refunded but open ai still says it’s being refused by my bank.

1 Like

I live in the Netherlands, and mine also got rejected. But when omitting the letters of our postal code, it did work.

I have a German bank card that got declined. Maybe because I don’t live in Germany right now (which is not that uncommon, right?!). I asked my dad, who lives in Germany, to use his (German) credit card. His card also got declined. So even though his IP and his card are both German, still got declined. It is truly ridiculous…

1 Like

Hey Logan,

I attempted over 60 times using 4 different credit cards, but all declined. I contacted the bank more than 20 times, telling me the issue was with OpenAI.

Francis

Really strangely it worked when I turned ON my VPN :joy:

I tried different browsers and different company and personal cards.

I am based in the USA. Finally, by turning on a VPN from the UK it worked the first time.

I tried two UK debit cards abroad and the same happened, but I tried again in the UK and it worked

ok, using it at a company with a shared virtual company credit card truly seems messed up. We cannot figure out a reliant way to get this working, although I thought in a previous thread that I did figure it out. As a result, OpenAI is missing out on hundreds of dollars per months :man_facepalming:

I had the same issue. I was using Safari. I switched to Chrome and it worked.

Same here in Vietnam. All of my cards are declined, although it still can pay other services. At least OpenAI should improve their error message. “Your card has been declined” is too vague

My free trial finally ended over the weekend, so I added my credit card details today.

The first attempt failed, but it did put a $5.00 USD hold on my Amex, thankfully the second attempt worked and does not seemed to have put another hold on the card.

Only difference between attempts was the CVC. First time I tried the normal 4 digit Amex CVC (on the front of the card), the second time I used the 3 digit CVC that is printed on the rear of the card.

I now have the card appearing twice in my account, which is weird.

Also for me. Using my mobile to get a non-proxy local ip address gave me the same ‘origin’ as my cc card…

Thank you so much! Being in the VPN was the problem. Once disconnected all worked fine!

I am in Vietnam too, do you found anyway to make it works?

After trying everything, I signed up for a new OpenAI account with a different email address (Gmail this time) and it worked.

Same problem. Mastercard.

Your card has been declined

I’ve been trying for days now. It worked for several months then stopped/declined in Sept.
After researching on this forum, I turned off my VPN, switch browsers and it worked. Very strange.

Hello, I am from India and using Jupiter Card have worked for me, other cards I have tried got declined, Let me know if anyone needs help in this case. I will be happy to do a transaction on behalf of you people.

Thanks

Summary created by AI.

The thread is about issues that users are facing OpenAI not accepting their credit or debit cards. anice kicks off the conversation by stating that they have tried multiple times with different cards from different banks, all unsuccessfully, and they are not based in the US. ruby_coder advises Shanice to directly contact OpenAI at support@openai.com for help. mc1903 adds that the country of origin and type of account can affect payment, mentioning Know Your Customer (KYC) checks.

The discussion continues with users from various countries reporting similar issues. arathra complains of problems with a European card and lack of customer support. jacob5 from the US has faced similar issues, and asolomon from India narrates how all his cards are getting declined.

bpopa provides a possible solution suggesting that the issue might be due to mismatch between the country of issued card and user’s IP address. They recommend using a browser that does not hide the IP address. jmalik78 shares that switching to Apple Pay resolved his issue, even though his subscription isn’t due for a few days yet. And fabian23 echoes bpopa’s sentiments, sharing how using an IP address from the same country as the credit card resolved his issue.

Summarized with AI on Nov 30 2023
AI used: gpt-4-32k