What happens to custom GPT the ones I made and I stop paying for ChatGPT plus?

Do they just become inactive to other folks, they get deleted?

I’m wondering to see what would be the outcome in case if I decide to stop paying.

No idea, but I can raise the question for you.

That would be super useful @Foxalabs

file-4OR5j0BmaxF0PohQsQ2HxuDj.webp

Searched 6 sites

“what happens to custom GPT models if ChatGPT plus subscription stops”

bing.com

favicons.png

OpenAI Developer Forum — What happens to custom GPT the ones I made and I stop paying for ChatGPT plus? - GPT builders - OpenAI Developer Forum

community.openai.com

favicons.png

OpenAI Developer Forum — What happens to your custom GPT (that you made) if you stop paying for ChatGPT Plus? And other questions - GPT builders - OpenAI Developer Forum

community.openai.com

favicons.png

OpenAI Developer Forum — What happens to your GPTs if you cancel your subscription to ChatGPT Plus? - GPT builders - OpenAI Developer Forum

community.openai.com

favicons.png

OpenAI Developer Forum — If your subscription expires what happens to your custom chatgpt bots? - GPT builders - OpenAI Developer Forum

community.openai.com

favicons.png

OpenAI Developer Forum — ChatGPT Plus and Usage Limits - ChatGPT - OpenAI Developer Forum

community.openai.com

If you stop paying for ChatGPT Plus, the custom GPTs you’ve created will become deactivated. This means that others won’t be able to access or use them via the GPT Store, as they will no longer be shared publicly. However, they are not deleted and will be available again if you renew your subscription (

OpenAI Developer Forum

) (

OpenAI Developer Forum

).

If you’re worried about losing access or needing to back them up, it’s a good idea to keep a record of their configurations and instructions before your subscription ends (

OpenAI Developer Forum

).

are you 100% sure?

I just checked with my friend and he also have a few GPTs and his plan expired.

everyone else can still access his GPTs (tested my self now) as well.

I’m pretty certain the URL and store listing - even your verified domain shown and actions - keeps running after publishing, even when out of your control by a lapsed subscription. This behavior would allow you to recover control if you subscribe again, and not be a demotivator to doing so. (although I’ve not personally deactivated; only gathered anecdotal evidence by reading tens of thousands of postings)

The service terms carves out a pretty big slice of rights in the category for submitted GPTs for OpenAI to do whatever they please with them when you publish to
“store”.

(b) Distribution and Promotion of GPTs. By sharing your GPT with others, you grant a nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license: (i) to OpenAI to use, test, store, copy, translate, display, modify, distribute, promote, and otherwise make available to other users all or any part of your GPT (including GPT Content); and (ii) to the extent Output from your GPT includes your GPT Content, to users of your GPT to use, store, copy, display, distribute, prepare derivative works of and otherwise use your GPT Content.

Because of the comma soup, you can construct a new legal sentence out of the mad-libs:

By sharing your GPT with others, you grant an irrevocable licence to OpenAI to use or distribute all or any part of your GPT (including GPT Content).

That also gives an interesting case: $20 for a month to build your brilliant bot buddy, and providing you give its benefits to others, and don’t expect it to do DALL-E, it might be there for for several free turns of gpt-4o per usage period by free accounts into the future.

So the reply I got back was that the custom GPT would continue to run and could be claimed back by the original user if they create a new account.

1 Like

That’s plus and plus can’t put things into store. Sorry I did not know you meant teams. But if you gave out links to plus members they should be able to access them. Unless it changed plus can’t publish into ChatGPT store.

This is more likely phrased “if their account re-subscribes”.

Accounts don’t go away unless they are banned, with the breadcrumbs to the GPT still in place.

In a ChatGPT Plus subscription, there is no “reclaim another account’s GPTs” button.