Weird signup Problem asking for a non-premium phone number

Hello,
I am desperate to use chatgpt.
I tried to signup with my email and it went well until they asked about my phone number.

I gave them my mobile number but they refused to send me a code with the following motivation:

It looks like this is a premium phone number. Please provide a valid, non-premium phone number to continue.

chat

I contacted OpenAI by mail but there was no answer, i also tried a different browser.

What can I do?
KR

gerard wennig

11 Likes

I have the same issue! A swedish phone number though and definately not premium. So frustrating! Is there a way to get around it?

5 Likes

Hey! Same here, I don´t know if there is a general failure. I also tried different browser as you did and it didn´t worked.

3 Likes

I currently have the same issue - I had to google what that prompt even meant. Seems like a new, accidental issue with recent updates, since I know ppl in my area using ChatGPT with no issue.

2 Likes

I am also having this problem. Maybe its just happening today?

2 Likes

Same here. I am trying from UAE and it is not accepting my normal phone number. Must be an issue with the openai servers.

2 Likes

Same issue in Uruguay with my cellphone

2 Likes

Same issue in Dominican Republic.

Some people has the solutions?

1 Like

Same for me in Germany. Maybe it’s because we’re slowpokes and no longer allowed to join :smiley:

1 Like

I just saw someone post this problem on Facebook this morning. It looks like he is already a ChatGPT user and just got this message for the first time today. It seems that its not just for new users signing up.

1 Like

Same here, in UK. Frustrating. Good to know I’m not alone.

1 Like

Same here in Colombia (+57) with a normal celphone number, I tried multiple ones unsuccessfully.

3 Likes

Same problem in Colombia (+57). I’ve tried countlees times to sign up in ChatGPT, all attempts failed.
Prompt message: “It looks like this is a premium phone number. Please provide a valid, non-premium phone number to continue.”

3 Likes

I solved it in my case by using another number (one I had recently successfully registered on)
Don’t know what the cause is though

1 Like

I received this error also.
In my case was because I had registered the phone number already.
Check your sms’s app… the messages coming from the bot have the alias " AUTHMSG"
I entered another phone number and it worked fine.
Hope this solve your problem too.

1 Like

Same here, new user.
Dominican Republic

1 Like

Same problem here, France… Did not even know what is a premium account. Any chance to avoid that step? Glad to hear I am not alone, at least…

1 Like

Same problem from Andorra, asking for a non-premium phone number.
It’s happening to people who are trying to register for the first time, using their corporate account.

1 Like

same here in Ireland. I’ve been trying to join for days, but there’s always some issue. very annoying

1 Like

Same issue, even tried another number and got the message that my account had been flagged for potential abuse. Trying for a few days now.

2 Likes