RateLimitError: OpenAI API new user

Hi, I just started using the OpenAI API today following the quickstart. I have not even ran a successful query yet. My account says $0.00/$18.00 limit. It also says " You’ve used $0.00 out of the $18.00 total credit granted to you." Also, my activity tab is flat but I don’t know why I keep getting the below error:

openai.RateLimitError: Error code: 429 - {'error': {'message': 'You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details.', 'type': 'insufficient_quota', 'param': None, 'code': 'insufficient_quota'}}

Please help/advice

1 Like

How large is your prompt? Depending on that and what model you’re using you might not have a high enough tokens per minute (TPM) threshold to send the prompt.

Thank you.

It doesn’t make much sense to me. I am basically running the quickstart. I see it uses gpt-3.5-turbo and according to my account, I can see 40,000 TPM, 3 RPM, 200 RPD.

This is what I am running (from the docs):

from openai import OpenAI
client = OpenAI()

completion = client.chat.completions.create(
  model="gpt-3.5-turbo",
  messages=[
    {"role": "system", "content": "You are a poetic assistant, skilled in explaining complex programming concepts with creative flair."},
    {"role": "user", "content": "Compose a poem that explains the concept of recursion in programming."}
  ]
)

print(completion.choices[0].message)

I’d suggest trying out the playground first, if it works there then the API should work too.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work there either.

Do you know if OpenAI have support (aside from the bot on their help page)

I found the cause. The $18.00 are expired

Hi, I am using OpenAI API for the first time. I have not paid till now. I got the same error as you, only difference being that my limit is 5$.

Does this mean you cannot explore it using free account?

You can add $5 credit to your account via a credit/debit card to remove the very low usage limits.

Check to make sure the $5 isn’t expired.

A lot of people signed up for ChatGPT (and indirectly signed up for OpenAI services) and unknowingly, the free credit starts counting from then.

If you have signed up on ChatGPT or OpenAI (specifically) less than 3 months, then your $5 should still be valid.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I have signed up for ChatGPT and indirectly for OpenAI (because I am using the same email for both) many months back (surely more than 3). I am still using ChatGPT easily.

Does this mean that I can’t explore LLMs?

Regards

ChatGPT is more like a freemium so that wouldn’t be a problem.

Unfortunately, you won’t be able to explore OpenAI LLMs without adding a card (paying).

However, you can take a look at GPT4Free. Check to see that it helps you.