Insufficient quota (despite having credits left and being far below the limit)

Hello,

I have a problem with my API keys. It says that I have exceeded the quota despite having 4,82$ of balance and I have a usage of 0,71$ out of the 120$. There’s a credit card associated with my account too and has been for two days. I do not know why it’s refusing to work now.

I’ve tried to let it rest and come back an hour later, without success or tried with a new API key.
Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

You can join many that have been cut off prematurely from using their purchased credit balance in the new prepayment system. A major bug.

For expedient support, message through the lower-right icon at help.openai.com, with full details that your account needs OpenAI Staff to correct the account balance credit usable and accounting malfunction.

2 Likes

Thank you for the fast reply ! I’ve already contacted the staff a few hours ago. I guess I’ll just have to wait until they fix the problem.

1 Like

hey is this problem that you mentioned fixed ?

Hello,
The problem is in fact now solved, but it isn’t the first time that I couldn’t use the credits I had left. And I have no idea how it solved itself, I didn’t touch it for a few days.

I met the same problem for 4days long, and it is still unsolved, I use a examples from GitHub:

from openai import OpenAI

client = OpenAI(
    # This is the default and can be omitted
    api_key=os.environ.get("OPENAI_API_KEY"),
)

chat_completion = client.chat.completions.create(
    messages=[
        {
            "role": "user",
            "content": "Say this is a test",
        }
    ],
    model="gpt-3.5-turbo",
)

Hi and welcome to the Developer Forum!

Have you added $5 of credit to your API account in the billing section?

https://platform.openai.com/account/billing/overview

1 Like

Thanks you to reply, So I have to pay $5 before begin a trial usage?

i have the same issue

{‘error’: {‘message’: ‘You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details. For more information on this error, read the docs: https://platform.openai.com/docs/guides/error-codes/api-errors.’, ‘type’: ‘insufficient_quota’, ‘param’: None, ‘code’: ‘insufficient_quota’}}

what is this new prepament system? I havent used the api in a while, my account shows the same as always, 0$ used from my limit.

shall i contact support?

edit: ok ive added 10$ through the link above, but still get same error… Does it take a while take effect?

edit: alright, it is now working…
Is there no way to use the old billing model anymore?
prepaid seems so arcane…