Insufficient quota (despite having credits left and being far below the limit)

Hello,

I have a problem with my API keys. It says that I have exceeded the quota despite having 4,82$ of balance and I have a usage of 0,71$ out of the 120$. There’s a credit card associated with my account too and has been for two days. I do not know why it’s refusing to work now.

I’ve tried to let it rest and come back an hour later, without success or tried with a new API key.
Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

You can join many that have been cut off prematurely from using their purchased credit balance in the new prepayment system. A major bug.

For expedient support, message through the lower-right icon at help.openai.com, with full details that your account needs OpenAI Staff to correct the account balance credit usable and accounting malfunction.

3 Likes

Thank you for the fast reply ! I’ve already contacted the staff a few hours ago. I guess I’ll just have to wait until they fix the problem.

1 Like

hey is this problem that you mentioned fixed ?

Hello,
The problem is in fact now solved, but it isn’t the first time that I couldn’t use the credits I had left. And I have no idea how it solved itself, I didn’t touch it for a few days.

I met the same problem for 4days long, and it is still unsolved, I use a examples from GitHub:

from openai import OpenAI

client = OpenAI(
    # This is the default and can be omitted
    api_key=os.environ.get("OPENAI_API_KEY"),
)

chat_completion = client.chat.completions.create(
    messages=[
        {
            "role": "user",
            "content": "Say this is a test",
        }
    ],
    model="gpt-3.5-turbo",
)

Hi and welcome to the Developer Forum!

Have you added $5 of credit to your API account in the billing section?

https://platform.openai.com/account/billing/overview

1 Like

Thanks you to reply, So I have to pay $5 before begin a trial usage?

1 Like

i have the same issue

{‘error’: {‘message’: ‘You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details. For more information on this error, read the docs: https://platform.openai.com/docs/guides/error-codes/api-errors.’, ‘type’: ‘insufficient_quota’, ‘param’: None, ‘code’: ‘insufficient_quota’}}

what is this new prepament system? I havent used the api in a while, my account shows the same as always, 0$ used from my limit.

shall i contact support?

edit: ok ive added 10$ through the link above, but still get same error… Does it take a while take effect?

edit: alright, it is now working…
Is there no way to use the old billing model anymore?
prepaid seems so arcane…

I have the same problem, both for my organization (where we have autorenewal) and my personal api. Any ideas on how to solve it from those of you who have had the same issue?

thanks!

Same here, for weeks. I used to be billed retroactively each month. I thought I would try adding credits so the balance isn’t 0, but it still says I’m over quota despite having $10 in there. Anyone know what we can do?

Same situation. Total ignore from customer support.
I have around 20$ stuck my API account since January because of “insufficient_quota”.
Now I lost hope to ever use this API again (also, many alternatives appeared) and requested a refund (from API interface). And what they did without hesitation - is canceled my “GPT Plus” subscription :man_facepalming: instead of refunding the balance from API.
Now I have two problems and they ignore me on both. :tada:

1 Like

Yes, I am still suffering from this problem. I want to try openAI and learn prompting, but it always give me this error. There is no contact-form to get to sales Team and no way to resolve this any sooner. Is there any alternative from where I can learn prompting?