\ openai.error.RateLimitError: You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details

I am trying to do a simple request weith the Open AI request system in python. It gives me the following error:" openai.error.RateLimitError: You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details." Do I need a play to just do one or two simple requests, or am I doing something wrong?

First, check your platform:
https://platform.openai.com/account/usage

If you have a “free” (credit) account (before March 2023) - check your $18 credit and expiration date.

If you have a free account (from March 2023) - ChatGPT access only, In order to use the OpenAI API, you need to set up a paid account.

If you have a paid account - check your token usage and limits.

You may try the playground in OpenAI GitHub.

This is Open Platform Microsoft style I guess! You cannot even give some free credits to the testers! Learn from Google!

2 Likes

“RateLimitError: You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details.”

i have gpt Plus and still get this message when using the api outside the chat.openai.com website

1 Like

ChatGPT Plus is completely separate from API tokens/usage

Monitor your API usage: OpenAI API

I am also getting RateLimitError: You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details. I have a ChaGPT Plus account. I am new to this , but does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

RateLimitError: You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details.
Same error means I need to go for paid account?

Yes, you’ll need to add a credit card to your account here to continue using the API.

1 Like

Error: You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details

Hi and welcome to the developer forum!

Please see this post

1 Like