New Guide on API Rate Limits (Available Now)

Hey all! I am happy to share that we launched a new guide on understanding rate limits in the OpenAI API: https://beta.openai.com/docs/guides/rate-limits/overview

This guide covers the basics of rate limits, the specific limits on our API, how to programmatically (with Python) resolve rate limit issues, and more! Check it out and please add any feedback on the guide here so we can improve it!

9 Likes

If I found any problem so u carect that problem.

I’ve read the rate limits, just trying out on a free account and get this error:
openai.error.RateLimitError: You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details.

When I go to my usage info, it says I have no requests. I have no idea how to respond to such info. Can anyone help?

2 Likes

Hey there,

I’m trying to connect Chatgp3 through Zapier to Gmail and consistently get this message:

Failed to create a prompt in OpenAI (ChatGPT)
You exceeded your current OpenAI API quota, please check your OpenAI plan and billing details.

I see on Reddit and other places it’s a common issue. What is the workaround?

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Hi,

Hope you may be able t help, I seem to be getting the below issue.

It appears to be a recurring issue that seems to be affecting quite a lot of users with no solution. The account is set up correctly with all the required payment details added yet the error still exists.

Can someone please explain what steps one needs to follow should you come across the following error message? It’s quite frustrating

"Exception has occurred: RateLimitError

You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details."

“openai.error.RateLimitError: You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details.”

3 Likes

@Supernova can you ping me your org ID via DM?

@logankilpatrick i am getting the same issue.
I am calling API via python code. I just created the keys, not sure if that matters?
Please let me know how to send you the org id.

File “/home/xxx/miniconda3/envs/mygpt3/lib/python3.10/site-packages/openai/api_requestor.py”, line 679, in _interpret_response_line raise self.handle_error_response( openai.error.RateLimitError: You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details.

I didn’t realize this was even a thing, I just assumed my tools would work and I’d pay for usage. My V-Day launch just failed because the tools don’t work, even though I drove a ton of traffic, and now I have to request and prove usage and wait 10 days, in which time it’s way too late. Kind of useless tbh.

2 Likes

Hi Logan, thanks for the extra information. Over the past few hours it appears some users are experiencing harder rate limits than what appears in the guide - Currently getting a deluge of 429s in a row - #8 by webtailken provides some examples.

I wonder if you might be able to provide any context for this?

Cheers

2 Likes

@Supernova you are getting this issue because you are on a free trial account. You need to add a payment method to proceed with more API calls. You also were not granted any free credits because the account you made was using a phone number that was already linked to another account. So per the onboarding UI, there were no credits granted.

3 Likes

@teosocrates I think this is a fair complaint, we have a pretty tight rate limiting system to reduce abuse and fraud, the key to success here is plan ahead and do a soft launch before hand with mock or light traffic. I sent the feedback to the team to see how we can improve this and makes sure people are aware of this limit up front.

3 Likes

I’m also getting “You exceeded your current OpenAI API quota, please check your OpenAI plan and billing details.” trying to use ChatGPT via Zapier…

1 Like

Could that be some of the issue… would Zapier calls all be from the same IP, so everyone using Zapier in the process is limited?

2 Likes

Actually, I was on a free openai account. Just upgraded to a paid one. I’ll report back here if that fixes the issue.

2 Likes

Also… what exactly are you trying to do?

ChatGPT doesn’t have an API yet…

Also, this thread is about API rate limits, not ChatGPT…

2 Likes

FYI: I had signed up for ChatGT Pro, so I thought that would be enough…

1 Like

Zapier offered ChatGPT as an app, so that would suggest it does have an API, I thought.

1 Like

Ah, maybe they do? Or they’re using it for SEO or just recognition as it’s hot right now.

As far as I know, they’re just connecting to the standard GPT-3 API…

There is a difference in the terminology…

But again, if Zapier is connecting all their clients through the same IP, maybe all those people ARE getting rate-limited despite their personal usage?

2 Likes

You should be aware that people complain about the fact that paid accounts are no better than the free ones. - I am sure you will miss out on revenue because people that do pay are realizing that the instability of the service FORCES them look for other solution.

I want about 10-50 more capacity that I am able to now. I am constantly maxing out and retrying (my scripts are continuous and automatic). Meaning, I would pay 10-50 more than I am doing now. - There are surely lots of people like me. Right now I can’t even spend more than 100usd worth of today in a day.

You need to create a separate access point for paying users. - I understand the abuse issue. But you could solve that.

I like your service in terms of content, and I do pay. - But I don’t dare go live with the system that I created that utilizes your API.

Finally, you charge for failed prompt. See image.

2 Likes