Newly created account and number but it says that it already exist and no further credits will be granted?

The title basically says it all. I just created an account today because I find it interesting enough now to explore AI and my friend recommended OpenAI because they give free 5$ credit upon registration.

But after registering, inputting my stuffs, I am SHOCKED TO FIND OUT that after I inputted my phone number, it says that this phone number already exist and no more further credits can be granted? What?! I just created my account today using my personal number and now it says it has been already used in an existing account?

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to the community!

Sounds not good!
Consider that the phone number message is likely a simple SQL look up and inside the table was the number you are currently using.
If somebody else has used the number before then it would show up as a previously used number.
Otherwise, I see no reason to be “SHOCKED”. It somewhat implies that a malicious actor inputted phone numbers into the SQL table.
You should reach out to help.openai.com, or maybe just spend five dollars for a real account. It’s definitely worth it compared to the free tier.
Sorry that I don’t have better news and that this still helps, somewhat.

1 Like

I did reach out to the help section of the OpenAI. Still waiting for their response. Thanks for the reply though!

1 Like