Getting openai.RateLimitError: Error code: 429 error without exceeding limit

openai.RateLimitError: Error code: 429 - {‘error’: {‘message’: ‘You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details. For more information on this error, read the docs: https://platform.openai.com/docs/guides/error-codes/api-errors.’, ‘type’: ‘insufficient_quota’, ‘param’: None, ‘code’: ‘insufficient_quota’}}

Getting above error without exceeding limit I just created my open AI key but when I am trying to execute the openAI starter code I am getting error ''You exceeded your current quota"

Kindly help me on this.

2 Likes

Hey! Right now, the credits are granted when you create an OpenAI account (which is shared with ChatGPT) so your credits have already expired. I re-flagged this to the team since ideally we would not grant the credits until someone makes their first API key but today the system grants them when an account is created in either the API or ChatGPT.

1 Like

Hello Logan!

Is there any estimate of when the problem will be fixed?

FYI

It is the holiday season. I would not expect to see movement on a software update for this until after the holidays.

I am facing the same issue:
RateLimitError: You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details. For more information on this error, read the docs: https://platform.openai.com/docs/guides/error-codes/api-errors.

I have a paid account and I added extra credit to it yesterday. I checked the limits for each model and I didn’t cross the rate limits for the models. I tried changing the model even that didn’t work. So, basically I tried every suggestion which is mentioned on different platform but nothing seems to be working.

You are facing a similar message but a different cause.

Processing and crediting prepayments to accounts is likely delayed by the simultaneous automatic processing of billed-monthly accounts (using OpenAI’s same payment service provider) at the start of the new month. It was seen before.

Thank you very much for your comment. I have been facing this problem from 31st of December. Its already 3rd day, so I am not sure if it is just payment processing issue. Please feel free to suggest any solution.

I am facing the same issue - please review and tell me why I am getting this error:
openai.RateLimitError: Error code: 429 - {‘error’: {‘message’: 'You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details., ‘type’: ‘insufficient_quota’, ‘param’: None, ‘code’: ‘insufficient_quota’}}

I too have a paid account and I added extra credit to it yesterday. I checked the limits for each model and I didn’t cross the rate limits for the models. I tried changing the model but no joy. So, basically I tried every suggestion which is mentioned on different forums but nothing seems to be working.

Here’s the activity by model as of Jan 28:
GPT-3.5-turbo-0613 API requests 14 Tokens 12,557
GPT-3.5-turbo-1106 API requests 646 Tokens 2,061,720
GPT-4-0125-preview API requests 166 Tokens 259,761
GPT-4-1106-preview API requests 398 Tokens 839,166
Text-embedding-ada-002-v2 API requests 40 Tokens 700,920
Audio API requests 24 Transcribed seconds 13,442

Here’s my billing (increased from 20$ last night):
Monthly Bill Jan 1 - 31 33% $16.30 / $50.00 limit
Credit Grants USD Oct 06, 2023 Available $0.00 / $20.00 Oct 31, 2024
OpenAI Monthly Oct 2023 Paid

I’m getting the same error. I manually counted how many prompts I had in the past three hours and it was 19.

Getting the same error. I haven’t used my API in days, still not reached my $ balance alert/cap. Can’t use OpenAI. :frowning:

1 Like

Same here. First use this month. And I’m tier-3…

“Same here” doesn’t help you get information here. Perhaps go to billing overview in your platform.openai.com account, pick the correct organization in the bottom left pop up over your name, and report what your current credit balance is showing.

The reason the API says to check your plan or billing may be obvious when you check your plan or billing.

I am getting the same issue here, am a paid account, was working just fine a while back until a few weeks ago. is this problem fixed?

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

Have you checked the sticky? It’s a little hard to find: [March 8+] API Error 429...check plan or billing details = Monthly Billed Accounts Switched to Prepaid

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,
I am also facing the same issue. Today I created an API key and this is the first time I am using the API call.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m having the same issue. I created an account in 2022 but just created an api key today. Can I get my credits back? I never knew I had them/had to use them in the first place.
Thanks