(Main Topic) ChatGPT not loading completely, can't log in; only plain text "Free Research Preview. ChatGPT August 3 Version" [issue Sept 20-26+ from new domain]

Dear, To inform you that the problem has now been solved, you can try again. Greetings,

The week of problems for some should now be fixed.

A freshly-reloaded ChatGPT now no longer uses the newly-registered domain name that caused problems for many.

A cautionary tale about domaining and security products for other webmasters.

the only one thing is: you need an Amerian VPN, so you can work good.

Thank you for the instructions for those of us who aren’t as computer literate as most. I am having the same issue, but don’t have access to the Secure DNS settings (the toggle is greyed out as I am on a work computer.) Does this mean I won’t be able to use ChatGPT on my work computer any longer?

A full close/open refresh/login of the browser, and you should be able to use ChatGPT without the issue described in this topic, where you just get basic text or only one line.

Companies may block the site for their own reasons.

Having the same issue in all browsers, but not on the phone. Closing and opening or refreshing does not seem to work.

The site isn’t showing blocked (I’ve run into that with other websites when using the company computer.) I’ve fully closed Chrome and Edge, killed the apps from the task manager, disabled all plug ins, and restarted to no avail. I still get the basic text and a blank screen upon log in. I know this is an issue with the domain being updated, but as I don’t have a lot of IT knowledge nor access to certain settings/functions, I’m not sure how or if I can whitelist the domain.

It is possible that you have some ISP caching proxy that is not respecting the need to go get the newest ChatGPT code.

A very manual way of refreshing other’s servers is to use the network developer tools, find every page that loads after a hard refresh, and for every URL, load the resource in another tab, appending a “?1695911370” to the url to bust past and reload the proxy.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I didn’t understand all of the DNS issue comments, but I understood this, and it worked for me.

I encountered a similar issue, but I managed to resolve it by downloading a VPN. I believe the problem might be related to the restrictions imposed by the Wi-Fi network, similar to the restrictions often found in school or workplace networks that block access to certain websites.

I am in Australia. I had this problem in recent few days on the same laptop with my work network, but not with my home network. I found a way to go-around this problem at my office. I connected my laptop to my phone’s hotspot, log in chatgpt, and go back to work network, then it works as usual.

I agree with the above analysis, and the problem is caused by the DNS. Switching to your mobile internet means changing the DNS as well. And it only checks DNS when you log in. Once you logged in with the mobile network, it keep working if you don’t close the tab.

how do you whitelist the domain? trying to also solve the problem.

That was a particular case for your own firewall or security software doing bad things unpredictably. In this case, it was NextDNS, a DNS security product interfering with the open internet. A kiddy-blocker only good for kids that don’t understand hosts files or network settings. And regrettably, they say “Embedded within carriers’ networks in major metropolitan areas.”

Please can anyone let me know when this issue will be fixed ?

Depends on why the connection to it was blocked. In my case, it was the NextDNS’s setting to block Newly Registered Domains (less than 30 days old). It also allows one to whitelist domains to exclude them from blocking. Do you use a similar custom DNS nameserver service?

1 Like

I got the same issue. The problem was my VPN. I disconnect my VPN and all started to work again

My girlfriend and I are having an identical issue.

May I ask why “?1695911370” works? Is it a fixed set combination that has professional and specific function in IT area?

A query term looks like a different URL, so will get past caches, and may refresh them. The number is just nonsense. One that is a different result depending on the content after ?, for example: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=banana+costume

Summary created by AI.

The discussion revolves around an issue with ChatGPT that users are experiencing. The problem manifests with just a plain text “Free Research Preview. ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts” and prevents users from logging in. This complaint was initially raised by v.oyewole, who mentioned having trouble since the beginning of the day. ines.morais.vilaca, rafi1, witkod, and others also experienced this issue, with some noticing it’s specific to their work computers or networks.

User _j suggested potential reasons for the problem and potential solutions, such as it being caused by updated extensions, blockers, firewall products, or VPNs. _j also mentioned that a rare case could be an account or database problem on OpenAI’s side.

ThioJoe identified his/her DNS filter was blocking requests to a new domain “cdn.oaistatic.com”. After whitelisting it, the site worked again. Users like elmstedt, mindv0rtex, and RonaldGRuckus echoed this solution, seeing it as a DNS issue and suggesting to whitelist the site from ad-blocking plugins, perform a DNS flush, or use public DNS servers like Google’s.

Other users are disgruntled with the issue, including mani2263 and harshgandikota, who feel that for a for pay service, OpenAI needs to resolve the persisting problem immediately. Some other users, like aguswahyudingumpul and elmstedt, counter that the issue lies with the user’s ISP or their computer itself, specifically, outdated indexes, issues in resolving newly registered domains, or ad-blockers blocking the relevant domain.

_j and elmstedt emphasized that the problem could either be a DNS lookup failure, a security tool blocking backend resources from the new domain, or an ISP caching proxy. Hence, a possible troubleshooting solution might involve adjusting DNS server changes, disabling firewalls and security software, or using network developer tools to manually refresh pages J Post 104.

Summarized with AI on Nov 24 2023
AI used: gpt-4-32k