Incorrect Usage Limit Error - My Situation and Fix

Based on my notes (I auto-generated this explanation from my notes using #:sparkles:Claude)

I recently ran into an issue when trying to use the OpenAI API playground. I kept getting an error message saying I had hit my usage limit, even though my usage dashboard showed I had only used the API minimally so far this month.

I contacted customer support, and the agent suggested a few things to check:

• Verify I was on the Pay-As-You-Go plan and not the free Explore plan (I was)
  • Make sure my usage limit was high enough (it was set to $50 initially)
  • Check if I accidentally had the wrong organization selected (everything looked correct)

I then noticed a few other details:

• My “Credit balance” was negative and equal to my usage so far (-$3.94)
  • I also pay for a separate $90/month ChatGPT team plan

I tried increasing my API usage limit to $100 to account for the ChatGPT subscription, but I still got the error. I then tried adding $10 to my credit balance. Interestingly, this made my credit balance go to $10 instead of $6.06 (which I expected due to the previous negative balance).

After waiting a few minutes, I was finally able to use the API again without errors. My usage went up slightly and my credit balance decreased accordingly.

In the end, it seems there may have been a short delay in updating my account after changing my usage limit and adding funds. The negative credit balance was also a bit confusing, and I’m not sure if it should have accounted for my ChatGPT team plan payment.

The key lessons are:

1. Make sure you’re on a paid plan with a high enough usage limit
  2. Check your credit balance and add funds if needed
  3. There may be a short lag before changes take effect, so be patient
  4. If you’re still seeing errors, contact support to investigate further

Hopefully this helps others who encounter a similar issue! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1 Like