How to generate $1 billing?

Well, it likely doesn’t take waitlist time into account. I’ve been waiting since March after signing up and paying for usage on the API. I’m about to give up on waiting at this point.

I finally got access within the past hour and they did send an email, as promised when I first joined the waitlist in early May. Not sure if that is what you meant by “will there be an announcement”, but it seems they are notifying individuals when access is granted to them, so checking the playground might not be necessary.

(Also, I was granted access within a day of being invoiced for the past month’s usage, so it seems that the response I shared from OpenAI Support earlier in this thread was nearly true… at least in my case. I’m still a bit displeased by the shift from “join on our waitlist to get access” to “spend money with us to get access” and the fact that this was poorly communicated.)

3 Likes

this whole roll out process was completely a disaster as they had a better alternative.
they shouldn’t have promised “by the end of the month” when it’s almost 2 weeks past that date and many organizations and people, including myself, don’t have an access.
they should have let each individual know what is their number in the line. as the number goes down because openAI adding more compute resources, each individual knows how much more waiting they still have and can better plan their work plans.

2 Likes

I just created a complex prompt, on the style “give me an account of the battle of Salamis”, using max_tokens=1000 and n=128. This several times.
It will burn credits fairly quickly and you will reach an expense of more than one USD.
You will have to wait till the end of the month in order for the billing cycle to complete.

1 Like

Has anyone in this thread got access yet.
So it sounds like I do not need to create a loop to rack up my bill > $1 I just need to keep checking the playground to see if the GPT-4 models show up is that the current advice?

I’m after gpt-4-0613

I created a new account and got GPT4 from the start. I wrote my experience in this comment. How long does it take to get GPT-4 API access after you've spent $1 on API costs? - #8 by nomuhyuna

I tried but I only use .20 (cents) per day
:slight_smile:

Seems you aren’t trying hard enough…

Untitled

ChatGPT4 Access (August 1st) - #18 by tillmann worked for me

Bizarre. I generated few dollars of API calls last month. It’s the 8th of September and still no billing (and no GPT4) for me

Since there’s been some reports of rate limit errors appearing by the card services provider when people are trying to buy credits, one wonders if OpenAI had to postpone or cut back on their monthly billings or the balance amount where they produce the bill to reduce usage of their payment processor…

I wonder why the “Solved by Foxabilo in post #4” caption was added to my post, as this was not solved at all

It’s either because you or someone else clicked a “solved button”

To answer your original question, just go ahead and develop your application with GPT-3.5, all you have to do is change the name of the endpoint in your code, when you do get access to gpt-4, everything else is the the same.

You can then test your application with GPT-3.5 and use about a dollar’s worth of tokens, solving the issue, or, if you want an even easier option, you can head over to the playground and start using that, since it also is charged though your API account.

I didn’t indicate that it was solved.
if there was a button I would remove the “solved” indication.
I am not interested to waste any time on 3.5. I have specific use-cases where 3.5 is not good enough

Then it might have been someone else who’ve pressed the button :laughing:

Not trying to be rude here, but how do you know that 3.5 isn’t good enough?

1 Like

gpt 3.5 is not compliant with prompt as gpt 4. for example, with Aider, gpt 3.5 doesn’t produce diffs correctly.

there seem to be a service that provides gpt 4.0 api amongst other llms at the same price as openai and without waiting list. anyone tried this?

Haven’t tried it, reselling api access is against the terms of service.

You don’t need an ai to create diffs, you can create perfect diffs every time with some simple Open Source software, GitHub, or just a free website like https://www.diffchecker.com/

I dont mean to sound rude, but it looks like you have no idea what aider is.

No worries, I do know what aider is :laughing:

But if you want to generate a 1 dollar bill, you’ll have to do it by using gpt-3.5 in some way, 1 dollar isn’t much, so you should be able to do that very quickly.