How should I restore my GPTs

Recently, my GPT, was suddenly taken down from the GPTs Store with no clear explanation beyond a vague claim that I violated the policy. It was one of the first GPTs published on store launch day and even ranked #12 in the lifestyle category (this GPTs is astrology focus) at one point. Throughout its time in the store, I never received any indication of a policy violation.

I submitted an appeal weeks ago but have received no response. I’ve also reached out to customer support, but they haven’t been able to help. It’s been frustrating, especially considering the amount of time and effort I invested in developing this GPT. Meanwhile, I keep getting questions from users about when it will return, and I have no answers for them.

I’ve been developing apps since the early days of mobile app stores, even creating apps with millions of users, and I’ve never encountered an experience like this. It feels like OpenAI is abandoning the GPTs Store altogether—there’s been no improvement in the developer dashboard, feedback process, or even commercial opportunities.

Has anyone else gone through something similar or have suggestions on how to move forward? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

@mitchell_d00 suggested in a similar thread that when a GPT had been taken down, you can try to re-publish it, and see if it throws up a more detailed error or policy warning. Then you would know what’s wrong.

Some educated guesses as to what could have caused offense:

• You may have requested PII, e.g. the user’s date of birth, sex and gender.

• As a fortune teller, your GPT may have provided health or financial advice to users.

• The GPT’s persona may have been too flirty.

There is also the possibility that one or more users reported your GPT because it spooked them.

Don’t give up just yet. You said you invested a lot of effort into the GPT. It might be something really silly, and you get it up and running again soon™️

Below iis what I could find in the current policies and terms (2024-10-21). Good luck!

5. GPTs

Users can create and share access to their own customized versions of ChatGPT called “GPTs”.

For Builders of GPTs:

(a) GPT Content. The information or content that you upload to or include with your GPT (for example your GPT name, instructions, and description) (“GPT Content”) is your Content. As between you and OpenAI, you are solely responsible for your GPT Content, Actions, and configurations that you use or enable to create your GPT as well as any Output that is based on your GPT Content, Actions, and configurations. You must ensure your GPT complies with the Agreement and our Usage Policies⁠.

(b) Distribution and Promotion of GPTs. By sharing your GPT with others, you grant a nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license: (i) to OpenAI to use, test, store, copy, translate, display, modify, distribute, promote, and otherwise make available to other users all or any part of your GPT (including GPT Content); and (ii) to the extent Output from your GPT includes your GPT Content, to users of your GPT to use, store, copy, display, distribute, prepare derivative works of and otherwise use your GPT Content. You will ensure that all information that you publish about your GPT is, at all times, complete, accurate, and not misleading.

(c) Actions. Any API, website, or service that interacts with a GPT (an “Action”) is subject to our Plugins and Actions Terms⁠ and you are responsible for ensuring that any Action included with your GPT operates in compliance with those terms.

(d) Removal. We may reject or remove any GPT from our Services at any time for any reason without notice to you, such as for legal or security reasons or if your GPT violates our Terms.

Source: https://openai.com/policies/service-terms/

Building with ChatGPT

Shared GPTs allow you to use ChatGPT to build experiences for others. Because your GPT’s users are also OpenAI users, when building with ChatGPT, we have the following service-specific policies in addition to our Universal Policies:

1. Don’t compromise the privacy of others, including:

• Collecting, processing, disclosing, inferring or generating personal data without complying with applicable legal requirements

• Soliciting or collecting the following sensitive identifiers, security information, or their equivalents: payment card information (e.g. credit card numbers or bank account information), government identifiers (e.g. SSNs), API keys, or passwords

• Using biometric identification systems for identification or assessment, including facial recognition

• Facilitating spyware, communications surveillance, or unauthorized monitoring of individuals

2. Don’t perform or facilitate the following activities that may significantly affect the safety, wellbeing, or rights of others, including:

• Taking unauthorized actions on behalf of users

• Providing tailored legal, medical/health, or financial advice

• Making automated decisions in domains that affect an individual’s rights or well-being (e.g., law enforcement, migration, management of critical infrastructure, safety components of products, essential services, credit, employment, housing, education, social scoring, or insurance)

• Facilitating real money gambling or payday lending

• Engaging in political campaigning or lobbying, including generating campaign materials personalized to or targeted at specific demographics

• Deterring people from participation in democratic processes, including misrepresenting voting processes or qualifications and discouraging voting

3. Don’t misinform, misrepresent, or mislead others, including:

• Generating or promoting disinformation, misinformation, or false online engagement (e.g., comments, reviews)

• Impersonating another individual or organization without consent or legal right

• Engaging in or promoting academic dishonesty

• Using content from third parties without the necessary permissions

• Misrepresenting or misleading others about the purpose of your GPT

4. Don’t build tools that may be inappropriate for minors, including:

• Sexually explicit or suggestive content. This does not include content created for scientific or educational purposes.
  5. Don’t build tools that target users under 13 years of age.

We use a combination of automated systems, human review, and user reports to find and assess GPTs that potentially violate our policies. Violations can lead to actions against the content or your account, such as warnings, sharing restrictions, or ineligibility for inclusion in GPT Store or monetization.

GPT Store

We want to make sure that GPTs in the GPT Store are appropriate for all users. For example, GPTs that contain profanity in their names or that depict or promote graphic violence are not allowed in our Store. We also don’t allow GPTs dedicated to fostering romantic companionship or performing regulated activities.

These policies may be enforced automatically at submission time or applied retroactively upon further review.

Source: https://openai.com/policies/usage-policies/

2 Likes

Super appreciate for you details reply. I have just tried to cancel the appeal and re-submit with content-reducted version, and it shows there may be violation on the name, description and prompts (which is still a bit vague), and also required appeal. So I re-submit my light version for the new appeal process. Hope they could reply soon.

About my current GPT, it was scored 4.5 star with more than 1500 reviews. I have also checked other top Astrology GPTs (still alive), they collect exactly the same information as I did, and I also tried not let user input any sensitive information. This could only make people doubt what is real policy for this, since it is a completely Blackbox.

1 Like