Fix "Hmm...something seems to have gone wrong" error

I also have the same issue. I have tried diffrient laptops and browsers, same issue.

Same issue, happens only using gpt 4 (even classic one)

Getting exactly the same today (1st Feb 2024) on chat GPT 4 (paid for)
Clearing the cache/history, switching browsers and machines makes no difference.

(Chat GPT 3.5 is working though)

I contacted the support and they said that the servers may have experienced intermittent errors during periods of high traffic.
After one day, the problem has gone and now it works fine.

Same here with GPT4. nothing fixes it, except opening a new chat. Very frustrating when you need that very thread.

I have the same issue with GPT 4. I keep getting the error message: Hmm…something seems to have gone wrong. Nothing fixes it, even opening a new chat, hitting “stop responding” to cancel out the previous prompt, using different browsers…
I tried GPT3, it’s working fine. I don’t know what’s the issue.

1 Like

FOUND A SOLUTION that worked for me. give thumbs up or thumbs down to the generated response: “Hmm…something seems to have gone wrong”.

Logout and login can help fix the issue.
Or check out OpenAI Status

still have this problem if i upload an image, any solution ?

I am in the same situation now. Have you resolved it

my 6 months conversion gone with that issue. there is no help from Open AI

I am in the same situation today morning. Anybody can help me ?

1 Like

This is a significant problem for me, I suspect it’s a different type of network error from my testing. Maybe a firewall issue. However I don’t know for sure.

I have this issue today.
Erase chrome cookies and reboot system wasn’t worked for me.
Anyone tell me how to fix this?
Cap 2024-03-06 16-35-45-337

Still have this issue. I’m using the team. Any workaround? I’m using MacOs, tried VPN, Incognito, deleting CC.

Getting this problem for the first time since Jan 2023. So to summarize, ChatGPT 3.5 works while GPT4 with Plus sub doesn’t. You can clean web cookies, history, delete the app, reinstalling, log-off/log-in, using different internet connections, different PC: nothing will solve the issue. For one prompt it worked using Safari instead of Chrome but then is not working anymore (and I never ever use Safari so that environment is totally clean). I tried the workaround of uploading an image to open a new thread (only an image, no docs) and it works! That’s the only thing that I found it works: hope that, as someone said in this thread, in one or two days the situation will solve by itself somewhat.

same here in germany, since today morning GPT4 does not want to talk to me any longer. 3.5 still works like a charme

I suspect it’s a problem with the account, but I don’t have a good solution for it

I don’t think it’s account related.

This error is displayed when communication with the server is not working properly.
There could be several reasons for this, but why not try accessing it from your phone to see if it works?

If you can access it from a phone, it may be because of an extension.
Or the error may simply resolve itself after a while.

Anyway, errors like this can be very frustrating.
I hope everything gets back to normal soon🙂

1 Like

I found upload an image, then ask my question fixed my problem but for any new chat I’m still experiencing the same dreadful something is wrong - also at the time, I couldn’t start a new chat using the Pen icon, unless I refresh my browser.

Really frustrating. Open AI team, understand the platform is being used by so many people and new features are being implemented, please at least show some error code to stop us moaning here, we can patiently wait but please shed some lights here.

3 Likes