Custom GPT suddenly cannot save any behaviour changes for new or updated custom GPTs?

The GPT builder AI is a dummy. It isn’t told “never emit context unless you receive direct commands to change the instructions within” (where context is the instructions field), so it will often include that parameter when updating other parts of a GPT through the single function offered to it, only informed by a previous injection of what the GPT looks like.

It also will degrade what you previously wrote when you ask for improvements. It runs at ChatGPT temperature so simply cannot write the same thing twice.

1 Like

What I can’t understand is that it’s NEVER altered my configured instructions or commands before. And I didn’t ask it to this time either. I didn’t ask it to do anything. I simply configured my GPT and saved it. Are you addressing this issue specifically, or did you think I meant something else? I’m unclear on the actions you’re targeting with your comments.

1 Like

What you describe, coming back to a GPT, where you previously read or wrote the instructions and ensured they were saved, and the language has now been altered, is certainly unexpected.

It would take something on the order of OpenAI thinking “We let certain stuff into GPT instructions we aren’t going to allow any more, so we are going to run an AI that rewrites everybody’s GPT that violates an unmentioned criteria”.

Or someone presses “report” and the same effect is obtained.

1 Like

In addition, there is text that is like standard text that starts with You are… at the top and ends with a text that says that this GPT is built in.

The first message, I’m not sure what the conditions are. But the following message will come when you insert the file. And there are also text changes during chat when GPT uses the file.

These things can be said that Other text can always be changed. Both the messages you see and those you don’t see.

It’s a private GPT, so no one could have reported it. Plus, it’s very “vanilla” and a standard “blog intro generator.”

I didn’t use any files. I am curious about those conditions, though. I did write my instructions in a way that is inconsistent with all my previous GPTs, though.

Adding my voice to the choir. For the last couple three days when I edit and save the GPT, I get a delay, then a reply, saying sorry technical difficulty, it couldn’t save, but it took note of my edit.

Whatever that means. @OpenAI roll back whatever the change was, and get this going again! Please :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m encountering issues with my GPT models today. They have suddenly started producing responses that are entirely disjointed and irrelevant to the context of the conversation. Additionally, the responses have become repetitive, compromising the usability of the GPTs. This issue is particularly concerning as it represents a significant deviation from their previous performance, making them effectively useless. The problem is especially troubling considering the extensive training these models have received. It seems like they have lost their ability to provide meaningful and contextually appropriate responses…

5 Likes

i mean i want to told you about text in system or instruction box can change in every time. and has behavior. As text I was told. It’s regular example that can often put in box. and one can change text when when get triger condition

Yes - I’ve seen a dramatic decrease in its quality today. Feels like January of 2023 outputs.

3 Likes

Yup. I am getting the same exact problem. Can’t update expertise, etc., etc., etc. Was running great until yesterday. Extremely frustrating.

1 Like

Yes, same here! I am also getting: " I’m unable to formally update its behavior in the system at this moment." Tried to build a new Custom GPT for ca. 30min - always the same error. Did reload the page several times and started multiple times from scratch.

1 Like

Encountering a similar problem with a newly created GPT tonight, which probably explains why its behaviour is pretty odd.

It’s also saying this when I make tweaks:

“Once the update issue is resolved, the GPT will be adjusted to ensure that it adheres to this approach…”

I asked what this means and it replied with “The update issue refers to a technical problem that’s currently preventing changes from being applied…”

Maybe it’ll resolve itself overnight?

I have been experiencing this since yesterday, but today, I’m able to confirm that my changes are being made. For example, on a new GPT, if I customize the suggested initial messages, I get the error, but then the questions are updated in the preview. I hope that’s helpful.

2 Likes

Anyone else having trouble with ChatGPT 4 altogether? I can no longer run any of my custom GPTs. I enter text into the entry box, hit send, then the text just disappears and I get no response. Even a plain old ChatGPT 4 chat
is doing the same. Zero response. My billing is fine. I cleared cache. Logged out, logged in. Still cannot use ChatGPT 4 at all. Also did not reach the 40 limit. I used it this morning and only just logged back in now.
?? Side note 3.5 works fine.

2 Likes

Wow, I wasn’t expecting this to take off so much.

Thank you everyone for your feedback on this. It’s a shame that the custom GPT quality has declined. Hopefully OpenAI can fix it, or roll back whatever they changed.

I still cannot update a custom GPT, same error.

@jack14 - I can use ChatGPT 4 as a normal chat, however, on Android, it did refuse to respond to me at times and said ‘the server has encountered an error’ with a blank reply and then just sat there. I had to try four times to get a response.

@dan31 - Are you saying that it doesn’t look like it saves but it really does save? Sounds broken to me.

@Trailmonkey - I also asked my custom GPT what the technical issue was that prevented it from updating itself and it couldn’t help. It’s still not working for me.

@fluent.code.man - Same for me, either when working on published Custom GPTs or creating a new one.

@jmstein77 - It’s been about four days like this for me now.

@andreflavionb - My custom GPT did this. It started providing completely random responses. It was quite funny in a way, I mean, at least it tried…

@haxwell - If you try your custom GPT now, are your current latest changes intact? Is the instructions up to date? Mine never updated its instructions or, on the rare chance it did, it didn’t quite match what I wanted I had asked it to do (back when it was able to retain and update its knowledge).

@dewbs - How did you write your instructions? I’m curious. What file(s) are you using with it? Do some file types work better than others? I find that xlsx works quite well.

I’m wondering if anyone else has contacted OpenAI support about this and has actually managed to get them to respond? Nothing from them for me.

1 Like

Ian,

Just to be sure, I just tried again. First, it said:
“It seems there was an issue with updating the behavior. Let me try again to ensure your needs are met.”

Then it came back again and stated:
“I encountered an issue while attempting to update my capabilities. Despite this, I’m here to assist with any questions or tasks you have. How can I assist you further today?”

This is getting extremely frustrating.

Jonathan

2 Likes

Same here with three different new models, some private, some public, some trained with uploads, some not.

1 Like

The response has evolved somewhat

It appears that I’m currently encountering an issue updating the behavior of the Project Management Guide. While I work on resolving this technical hiccup, is there anything else you’d like to adjust or any other aspect of the model you’d like to discuss? Your feedback is valuable in refining and enhancing the model’s capabilities.

1 Like

@jmstein77 - This is exactly what I have had for the past three days.

I’ve given up on it for now.

@elizabeth.kalik - Yes, none of my custom GPTS have much use right now, sadly.

I guess it’s over to OpenAI now.

1 Like