Credit card repeatedly gets declined - India - please help

I have been trying to upgrade to ChatGPT Plus for the last few days, but my Indian credit card (SBI Mastercard), gets repeatedly declined even though I’m entering all the details and OTP correctly. This card works perfectly on all other international sites, except on the OpenAI site.

Also the error message is so unhelpful - “Your card was declined”. Why was it declined? Can’t you give more details so I can address it if there is a problem?

Why is your payment infrastructure so limited (only Credit Cards supported), and why is your Stripe payment gateway so buggy and unhelpful? Please help and fix this issue.

Or provide other modes of payment apart from credit card if you’re unable to fix it, e.g. support for Netbanking.

Thanks

1 Like

Same problem from Argentina. 3 cards and apple pay rejected.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s just frustrating that an advanced tech company like OpenAI is providing such limited options for payment (only credit card) through only one buggy gateway, Stripe. Like why?

Even my local gas company provides options for 3 different payment gateways (Razorpay, PayU, Paytm) on their payment screen, including options for various payment modes like Credit cards, Debit Netback, E-wallets, Netbanking etc.

This decision of OpenAI to provide so limited payment options is so inexplicable and frustrating for users.

1 Like

Here is a solution which worked for me. You want to connect to a US VPN service and then try your credit card. It got declined when I had tried without VPN, but when I connected the US VPN it went through. It is also important that your use “enter address manually” option so that the GST can be calculated during billing. This should work.

1 Like

I tried just now over a VPN connection and by setting my location in the US, but still the transaction got declined, and the same message from the bank - “Your Standing Instruction for $23.60 for CHATGPT SUBSCRIPTION has been declined, as per RBI guidelines. Please pay directly at the merchant”.

From the message it sounds like there is something wrong with the request that Stripe gateway is sending to the bank for creating the e-mandate for recurring payments as per RBI guidelines, and so it keeps getting declined. :frowning_face:

And there is no option on the payment screen to just pay for one month, and not create a recurring transaction. The lack of different payment options is just ridiculous and very frustrating.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion and for trying to help.

After trying many different cards, finally an ICICI Amazon Visa credit card worked successfully! So I finally got access to ChatGPT Plus :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some banks have not updated their policy as per last year RBI guidelines. But I am glad it worked out. It is possible to do this via your Apple device, if you have one.

not working for me i have try sbi bank bank of baroda icici punjab and singh bank paytm payment bank but not working

Nothin works… wish any chat gpt version could make this process naturally and humanly sane…no intelligence required… seems they forgot to finetune their own parameters.

The payment gateway is declining all cards in India. Does anyone has any solution that worked. No support team to help as well.

nothing worked . looks like a universal prb with india cards

It appears that multiple individuals, including myself, are encountering similar payment difficulties. As a temporary resolution, I have begun utilizing OpenRouter, which offers a variety of features including GPT-4, Claude2, and Llama2, and accepts both Visa and cryptocurrency payments, making the setup process seamless. To effectively use OpenRouter, you may require supplementary applications such as SillyTavern (compatible with Windows and Linux) or MindMac (compatible with macOS).

Seems like the govt. of India like Engineering syllabus of Indian Engineering Colleges, wants to take India backwards, hence prohibiting Indian masses to grow and excel naturally. While this should have been on priority as there are many who could have come up with innovative AI products, will never be able to do that. Moreover the masses don’t have credit cards. Same is the case with Google. You can’t pay them as well and use google cloud to host your projects. These are deliberate steps. The reason is simple. Lesser the actual growth of the country , easier to manipulate the masses based on religion etc. Big concern.

1 Like

Thanks Saurabh. Visa credit card worked with Open AI.

The same Indian credit cards that are working for Gemini Advanced, Perplexity Pro and CoPilot Pro are being rejected by OpenAI. Logically speaking that would mean that OpenAI need to fix something. You too can try your cards on these websites if you wish. Wondering why the Govt of India is supposedly & selectively “blocking” OpenAI…