Card declined with no reason

I used my card to pay the OpenAI API until march 2024, then I started to receive an “your card has been declined” message in april. I tried another card, and it is still being declined. I deleted cookies, used different browsers, different WiFis, but nothing worked. Now OpenAI sent me an email saying that they will suspend my account in five days. Please, can you suggest a solution? For instance, is there any virtual card that is working?

2 Likes

I’m experiencing the same exact issue; I cannot pay the April invoice with two of my only payment methods. I reckon it’s because of the credit purchase I made two weeks ago.

I also have that issue with my Visa-Card. Until march everything was working fine and now I can’t pay with my card.

Any solutions? All of my cards were suddenly delclined today, but they worked fine yesterday.

I started with ChatGPT Plus on 23rd of March, there the payment worked (the plan gets shown here: “pay.openai…”) Nonetheless, the same credit card didn´t work on adding it here “platform.openai…”
I am consoled that other people are experiencing the same issues… Might it be a local issue (I am living in Germany)?

I had a problem similar to this a few months ago which I don’t feel was ever really resolved. It was completely a problem on their end and it has to due with the data that they’re sending to stripe for the transaction (or not sending). I contacted them about it and they just brushed it off and refused to even acknowledge that it was on their end or that they would look into fixing it, event thought it’s without a doubt on their end and a problem they need to fix.

One of my invoices became past due because of it and eventually causing my account to downgrade to prepaid billing when I really relied on the buffer of the charge-card style billing that let me use credits up to a certain amount and just let me pay for whatever was owed at the end of the month. But due to their system not charging my card properly and the invoice becoming past due the system seems to have got the impression that I’m not paying my invoices responsibly even though I had an ongoing ticket open about it I eventually needed to be able to use the API and was getting no where in resolving the payment issue and ended up finding a card that worked one of my personal debit cards and they refused to move me back onto the previous payment plan.

Their support are some of the worst I’ve seen anywhere , both technical support and the billing, half of the time I feel they’re not even bothering to read what you’re saying and just copy pasting the most generic response which just tries to justify or excuse themselves out of having to do anything by offloading the cause somewhere else or just flat out refusing to do anything. or acknowledge that theres even an issue.

Hello,
​
Thank you for reaching out to OpenAI support.
Sorry for the trouble you experienced while processing your payment.
Unfortunately, we don’t have much information about why this is happening, and we can’t push this payment through from our end. We recommend reaching out to your issuing bank or credit card provider for further assistance. Alternatively, you could try using a different payment method.
Let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.
​
Best,
Jammy
OpenAI Support

Maybe this helps toward getting the payment system fixed, what a nuisance…

2 Likes

Support now solved the issue (it took overall 7 days since adding of payment method failed for the first time) They were very friendly and said, that they made some updates on my account. Adding of my visa-card now worked! I was able to add some money to my account and am now eager to start working with the API-functionality. Happy end :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, has your problem already been resolved?
I too have a similar problem; my credit card is refused every time when I try to pay for the OpenAi API key. I have already contacted support but they have not responded yet.

Same problem here, even with different banks, different terminals, different IPs.
Everything on my end has been ruled out.