Copy and Paste Issue in ChatGPT Desktop App on macOS

What works for me - I would copy the text from Outlook and paste it in the Web browser search bar. Then copy the text and past into the ChatGPT app. Only limitation is that all the bullet points and paragraph breaks are disappeared.

The issue is not exclusive to ChatGPT. I have been experiencing it in many other situations while using Chrome on my Mac, including Blogger and CoPilot. My work-around is a Mac app that I use all the time called “CopyClip”, that automatically saves any text you copy. From the menu bar, you can get any of the previous 30 copied items. The kludge for large chunks of texts pasting as an image is, go into CopyClip, select any other previously copied item, and then go back to CopyClip and select your intended item. This has the effect of giving you plain text, in about 1.5 seconds.

Of course, it doesn’t FIX the problem, but it lets you get around it and move on with your life.

I have the same issue. My workaround is to copy and paste to ChatGPT desktop and let it be a screen shot. Then I ask ChatGPT to “type up the text from the screen shot”. It types it up in a format I can use. Not optimal, but saves me the time of having to go to Text Edit or some other third party tool. Hope there will be a fix to this soon. Cheers!

Two other workarounds that may or may not be helpful to you. If you copy and paste text from the online version of Word and other M365 apps, this issue goes away. It is only an issue in the Word desktop app for Macs. Also, if you copy and paste the text to a Copilot prompt first and then copy & paste it from there to ChatGPT desktop app, there is not issue. But really, this is so annoying!

1 Like

Same issue hear. Makes it really hard to use the desktop app of ChatGPT for Mac.

1 Like

This worked perfectly for me. Thank you.

Came here after fruitless support from chatgpt Claude and Gemini.

Worked with get plain text app from the Mac App Store. So thanks for that recommendation.

Really annoying. This is some Microsoft Apple issue I think because it also occurs in other apps for example Discord.

But would be nice if OpenAI fixed this as it makes the Mac app almost unusable without installing this third party addon.

2 Likes

The same issue is here. Copying text from Microsoft Word becomes a dark image on the ChatGPT app for Mac.

ChatGPT Version 1.2024.199 (1721692610).
Mac OS Sonoma 14.5.
MacBook Pro M1.

This bug has been open for some time without any fixes.

2 Likes

Maybe… if it a simple fix but is here for more than two months, maybe it is a deliberate choice by OpenAI some internal policies.
And then the most plausible explanation is Microsoft itself trying to avoid a better Copilot solution. Why spend on Copilot limited capabilities if pasting on ChatGPT really works much, much better?

What is maddening is that it doesn’t appear that anyone from OpenAI actually reads any of this! If this is how they are running things, they aren’t going to be at the top for long!

4 Likes

Same issue, cannot copy and paste on Mac app

1 Like

I was looking it up eventually, since it’s absolutely annoying , only to find out that its been there for a few months and GPT team never fixed such a simple and needy thing that absolutely pertains to the whole idea of using this app?!

5 Likes

Same problem, this is honestly a shame for a commercial app used by millions to not be able to copy paste

6 Likes

Months later and this issue still persists, when will these be fixed???

2 Likes

Same problem here. Any hope devs will notice us?

1 Like

I don’t even think the developers are noticing this. In my case, I just go to Safari when logged into ChatGPT-4 and I see the link option in the browser at the top right. It’s a hassle, but it works.

1 Like

Same issue here! Please fix this OpenAI!

1 Like

Also having this issue. Please fix!

1 Like

Same thing here! Please, fix this

1 Like

Paste it into Notes and copy it out of that.