Copy and Paste Issue in ChatGPT Desktop App on macOS

I’m experiencing an issue with the ChatGPT desktop app on macOS where copying and pasting text is not functioning correctly. When I copy text from Outlook and try to paste it into the ChatGPT desktop app, the text pastes as an image instead of plain text.

Here are the details:

Operating System: macOS

Issue: Copying text from Outlook and pasting it into the ChatGPT desktop app results in the text being pasted as an image.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Copy text from an email in Outlook.

2. Paste the text into the ChatGPT desktop app using Command + V.

Expected Behavior: The text should be pasted as plain text.

Actual Behavior: The text is pasted as an image.

Due to this issue, I am considering switching back to the web version of ChatGPT, where copy and paste functionality works correctly.

I hope this feedback helps in identifying and fixing the issue. Thank you!

58 Likes

I’m experiencing the same problem, and would classify this as an unwanted behaviour.

Web Version - CMD+Shift+V is always possible to do, however, the app version doesn’t allow this when pasting from Word.

7 Likes

Exact same issue here, very very annoying

7 Likes

Experiencing the same thing – it pastes as an image and then chatgpt doesn’t know what that is - says “I’m sorry, but I’m unable to directly read or extract text from image files.”

3 Likes

Same thing here. Extremely annoying. I had to switch to the web app to do a basic chat about items I needed to paste. I also cannot paste a web URL; it creates a dump of the content from the referenced URL rather than just the URL itself.

2 Likes

+1 I’m also experiencing this issue. Need to paste the text into Notes and then paste into ChatGPT app to get around this. Very annoying.

2 Likes

I’m experiencing the same issue @MustangKitty identified with the ChatGPT desktop app on macOS where copying and pasting text isn’t functioning correctly. When I copy text from Outlook and try to paste it into the ChatGPT desktop app, it pastes as an image instead of plain text.

Details:
• Operating System: macOS 14.4.1
• Device: MacBook Pro, 16-inch, 2023
• Chip: Apple M2 Max
• Memory: 32 GB
• Issue: Copying text from Outlook and pasting it into the ChatGPT desktop app results in the text being pasted as an image.
• Steps to Reproduce:
1. Copy text from an email in Outlook.
2. Paste the text into the ChatGPT desktop app using Command + V.
• Expected Behavior: The text should paste as plain text.
• Actual Behavior: The text pastes as an image.

I hope this feedback helps OpenAI in identifying and fixing the issue. Thank you!

2 Likes

Same problem here on MacOS. When copying text from Outlook and then pasting it into ChatGPT prompt, the text pastes as an image that the application is unable to read. The only workaround found is to return to the web version.

2 Likes

Same issue here on MacOS. Very unwanted behavior thats causing me to revert back to the web app.

1 Like

I believe this has nothing to do with ChatGPT or MacOS directly, but it seems to be a strange behavior related to Microsoft Apps on MacOS. I have the same issue, but found that users since years have the same problem.
Until i find a proper solution i copy to a text editor and from there to ChatGPT.

4 Likes

Same problem here, but it doesn’t matter which application I copy the text from. Also, ChatGPT gives me random (hallucinated) OCR output…

1 Like

Here is a nice website that you could use to paste from ChatGPT:

Just paste the content from ChatGPT and re-copy from here, it will be cleaned up. It even gives you the option to copy the source Markdown content.

2 Likes

Same issue. Mac OS and Windows 10, Chrome and Firefox. I can reduce this issue by cutting text first from either the address bar or text input box. No other website or tool has this issue. The copy listener is failing. Quite a few JS errors in the console. I’m going to start blocking OpenAI from spying because what I saw when inspecting the source is a turn off.

For a temp solution, I’ll test if removing the copy listener fixes this. How? right-click > inspect > … > listeners.

Source map error: Error: request failed with status 404
Resource URL: https://cdn.oaistatic.com/_next/static/css/3fa7e362c60113a3.css?dpl=0eb06d1ca14a173bcd1bae1cf21f80dca728a1a0
Source Map URL: 3fa7e362c60113a3.css.map

Source map error: Error: URL constructor: is not a valid URL.
Resource URL: wasm:https://cdn.oaistatic.com/_next/static/chunks/vendor-500010f15c76dbe3.js?dpl=0eb06d1ca14a173bcd1bae1cf21f80dca728a1a0%20line%2031%20>%20WebAssembly.compile
Source Map URL: null

Resource URL: https://cdn.oaistatic.com/_next/static/chunks/3590.bacaa9c23f3a30b7.js?dpl=0eb06d1ca14a173bcd1bae1cf21f80dca728a1a0
Source Map URL: 3590.bacaa9c23f3a30b7.js.map

Resource URL: https://cdn.oaistatic.com/_next/static/chunks/pages/_app-80933a1d21cb4466.js?dpl=0eb06d1ca14a173bcd1bae1cf21f80dca728a1a0
Source Map URL: _app-80933a1d21cb4466.js.map

2 Likes

I forgot to add there are CPU/GPU spikes as well

I have a solution (for Mac users). I use the application CopyLess2 on my Mac. It now costs $9.99 but I used it before this issue. It basically retains everything on your clipboard. It has an option to paste items “as plain text” and it works into ChatGPT every time. It works where CMD, opt, V does not (mac’s plain text paste).

1 Like

Yep +1 - same problem here. It makes the desktop OpenAI tool totally unusable. As for pasting into another tool first to “clean up” the paste buffer content - I thought AI was supposed to save us time, not introduce additional steps. and slow things down

I’ve noticed if I do the same in the web-browser interface, I get an image AND the text, which slows things down and probably results in more work (and more tokens) from the ChatGPT side. Again, how do I turn this off?

2 Likes

Same issue. Cannot copy and paste

1 Like

Same issue for me as well. It does it on the web as well but I just delete the image before I submit. The desktop app only pastes the image and not the text.

1 Like

same issue here. hope can be fix soon

1 Like

Im also having the same issue. I have to copy it into textedit first in order to paste the plain text. I hope this can be resolved! its been very frustrating since I do a lot of copying and pasting from emails.

1 Like