Can't use the desktop app?

+1 for this! I also thought all the paid users will get access immediatly

3 Likes

I thought the same thing - but for the amount of time this service has saved me thus far I’m happy to overlook it :wink:

Got the popup saying I should download the app, but when logging into the app it says I don’t have access.

Where have people been able to find the download link? I assumed the App Store was the only place to look and then I searched everywhere on OpenAI website and found nothing. I asked ChatGpt when switching to GPT 4o and it gave me a link with the download but the computer would not open it. I also am a Plus subscriber and use a MacBook Pro desktop that uses M2 chip. These rollouts are confusing

1 Like

@jasmin87
its not via the app store. When you get access a popup will appear when you are using ChatGPT via the WebApp. It will allow you to download the dmg file and you can install the app. Since its not via the app store, you will have to bypass your mac security. I suppose seeing it on the app store will take even more time as they need to clear App store scrutiny.

I keep getting told the desktop app is now available when I am logged into ChatGPT on the web… i download from the link it shows me, install then get shown

“You do not have access to the desktop app yet…”

On Mac Studio 14+

1 Like

Paid user. Friend of mine in the same country does not pay does have access. I don’t have didly squat. I don’t know what the idea behind this rollout is but it makes me sad :frowning:

1 Like

Here’s the reply from OpenAI regarding this issue:

Hi there, I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing issues accessing the ChatGPT MacOS app. Based on the information you’ve provided, it seems like you’re encountering an access restriction despite being a paid user.

This can happen as the MacOS app is being rolled out in stages to ensure a smooth user experience. As a paid user, you should have priority access to the app.

However, there might be a delay or an issue with the rollout process in your case. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue:

Ensure Your App is Up-to-Date: First, please make sure you’ve downloaded the latest version of the ChatGPT MacOS app from the official source. Sometimes, having an outdated version can cause access issues.

Log Out and Log Back In: Try logging out of your account within the app and then logging back in. This can sometimes refresh your account status and grant you access.

Restart Your Mac: If you haven’t already, restart your Mac Studio. This can resolve unexpected software behavior and might help in this situation.

Check for Updates: Ensure your MacOS is up to date. Since the app requires MacOS 14 and Apple Silicon, it’s good to check if there are any pending system updates that might affect app compatibility.

If after trying these steps you still encounter the “You do not have access to the desktop app yet” message, it might be an issue that needs to be resolved from our end. Since you’re a paid user, your access should be prioritized, and we appreciate your patience as we work to make the app available to all our users.

For further assistance and to report this issue directly, please use the feedback tool within the ChatGPT platform or the MacOS app if available. Your feedback is valuable and can help us identify and resolve access issues more quickly. Thank you for your understanding and patience. We’re committed to improving your experience and hope to resolve this issue for you soon.

To report an issue with your MacOS App, use the messenger on this page.

I meet all requirements but still not available when trying to log in.

We have rolled out access to the ChatGPT MacOS app to a small portion of our users, and plan to enable access to all of our users later this year.

I wonder how later…

Did al of this and still cant log in

It’s much more than just a web wrapper. It’s a very common practice for new applications to be rolled out incrementally to select users, especially when they include new functionalities like screen sharing, which can consume a lot of bandwidth.

I’m seeing the same thing. Paid Plus user, no access to the Desktop app yet! Hope to see it soon! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

nope. At the moment, it functions similarly to a mobile application. no screen sharing, in insta-response.

same issue here, plus member, found link (difficult - has to ask chat gpt to do so) apple silicon Mac, signed it but no access.

Is there a tab and speaking feature available on the desktop app?

When the other paid users do have access will it show up in the app store or some other “Paid User” download link?

I tried on both of my Macs, M1 & M2 chips, no workee workee. So that is not the issue.

If I don’t have access to this thing within 48 hours I’m done paying for Plus. I’m getting tired of paying for features only for them to roll out to free users at the same time as paid users. Tick-Tock

1 Like

It’s now the end of the week for me, a paid plus user, still no signs of being able to download or access the desktop app. Really wish the messaging was clear that it is not yet available.

1 Like