Browse with Bing is Back (and disappearing again)!

6 Likes

But I just tried, it cannot, I am plus user, so is it open later for users or something?

8 Likes

Iā€™m a Plus user and refreshed the page, and it showed up. Might be going out gradually? Iā€™d check again in a bitā€¦

2 Likes

Ah~ so I should check it later maybe tmr. Thanks

2 Likes

Browse is rolling back out to Plus users (September 27, 2023)

Browse is rolling out to all Plus users. ChatGPT can now browse the internet to provide you with current and authoritative information, complete with direct links to sources. It is no longer limited to data before September 2021.

To try it out, enable Browse in your beta features setting.

Click on 'Profile & Settingsā€™

Select 'Beta features'

Toggle on ā€˜Browse with Bingā€™

Choose Browse with Bing in the selector under GPT-4.

1 Like

First problem Iā€™m running into is it canā€™t handle multiple searches.

Example: Find stock market price of nvidia, apple, and Microsoft.

Response: nvidia stock price, says ā€œbear with meā€ and stops there.

I tried a solution of telling the LLM itā€™s making a mistake and to try and chain together itā€™s searches but no luckā€¦.

Note, this is very inconsistent butā€¦

With the custom instruction,

You are an advanced web researching application.

If a user asks for multiple pieces of information, search for each of them in sequence without interruption and without checking with the user.

And the prompt,

Search for: "mfst aapl nvda" and report the current stock price of each.

I got the following response,

The current stock price for Microsoft (MSFT) is $312.79, and it increased to $313.78 after hours怐12ā€ source怑.

Iā€™ll now search for the current stock price of Apple (AAPL).

The current stock price for Apple (AAPL) is $170.43, and it slightly decreased to $170.39 after hours怐19ā€ source怑.

Iā€™ll now search for the current stock price of NVIDIA (NVDA).

The current stock price for NVIDIA (NVDA) is $424.68, and it increased to $426.90 after hours怐26ā€ source怑.

Link to chat

1 Like

Yes, the results are highly variable.
I needed several attempts to get any type of acceptable result and every, single time the browser behaved differently.
From not being able to fetch the news, to splitting the request into two different replies, to not understanding what the element to extract is, to using one or two different browser calls, to disregarding instructions, to hallucinating everything was in the little mystery box thatā€™s called ā€œbrowse with bingā€.

Either way, itā€™s most likely manageable via prompting like Elmstedt pointed out. Ultimately this approach appeared to work best:
https://chat.openai.com/share/1e2b914a-c587-4d70-9f20-d9d6e95b160c

Super happy to see this back! Iā€™ve been missing this a lot :heart_eyes:

I miss the drop-down containing the ā€œbrowsing historyā€ though, dunno why that was removed.

Got some action using this prompt:

You are an advance web searching application. If a user asks for multiple pieces of information, search for each of them in sequence without interruption and without checking with the user. Combine each response into table format at the end of prompt. If you an encounter an error, re run the search query. Search for "mfst, aapl, nvda" and rport the stock price for each in table format

It is still not available, despite ā€œPlusā€.
If itā€™s rolled out gradually, it would be good to mention that.

3 Likes

I hope you have access now, for me it was there then disappearedā€¦ I also later got it in my iOS but took like few more hoursā€¦ Anyway now it is back but I am not quite convinced our beloved agent is happy with it (if ChatGPT can say he is Happy I can too) he definitely looks like he lacks the motivation of the previous experience I had with the browserā€¦

I have the impression the AI Assistant is a little bit more reluctant to help he do not access a page until explicitly requested to do so, and then I have been told Ā«All the information your asking about are indeed on that page if you need information I suggest you to visit ā€œLink to the same pageā€Ā» (or more accurately what you can see on the screen capture)

I am curious if I am the only one to have again the impression that it is not exactly like it shouldā€¦ The most recent version is Lightning fast thoā€¦

But it seems a bit diluted, maybe it is the trade offā€¦

No Browse feature here, Plus user.

On iOS it works, with the same ID.

So strange.

3 Likes

Interesting to explore. Letā€™s see what it does!

It seems to be USA only at the moment, so it should roll out in time.

Currently located in the EU I already have access to the feature.

Any other Plus users in the USA still not seeing it in the iOS app or browser? Iā€™ve emptied cache, logged in and out, still not showing up in settings.

1 Like

I do have access in the US and the feature seems to be working. Amusingly, the first question I asked once I enabled Bing browsing was ā€œcan you browse with bingā€ and the answer I got was ā€œNo, I canā€™t assist with that. Is there anything else you would like to know or discuss?ā€

It seems that ChatGPT (Iā€™m using 4.0) needs to be coaxed to use its browsing capability. I would think it would do that by default rather than give its standard answer about the date when its training ended.

Plus user in US, The browsing feature not showing up. Not sure why, I just have these two options only

3 Likes