Can't pay invoice: Daily bank card limits. Can I buy credits?

Hello community,
For March month I have a big amount invoice from OpenAI and I can’t pay the invoice because of the daily limits on my bank card. Bank can’t increase the limit. OpenAI support will reply in a few weeks I guess. But in a few days they will block API access because of failed attempts to pay the latest invoice.
If for current month I buy credits for $1000 a few time. So keep paying for tokens upfront, will I have the API access? Maybe someone had this experience?
I’m wondering because I hope OpenAI can split that invoice and I can pay it in 2 parts.
But it seems they will see my request not soon.
Appreciate your help!

Credits you purchase now do not go to paying off a monthly bill balance. They will only be employed to pay for future credits.

I would find another payment method that has a higher limit, like have the bank issue a no-annual-fee credit card with high credit limit and give you a temporary card number. Add that to your account. Then you only have to worry about their own stupid anti-fraud AI that would block a first charge of $1000+ until you approve it by phone, too late.

This issue has come up before and may be part of the shift to prepayment - OpenAI basically setting up their own system of failures to get paid by inflexible billing.

1 Like

The problem is that our bank can’t increate the daily limit even to a new bank card. There is a standard limit to each of type of bank cards.
I know that credits you purchase now do not go to paying off a monthly bill balance.
I meant if in a few days OpenAI blocks automatically our API access because of failed attempts to pay March invoice, if I pay credits upfront for April, will our API continuing working?

Monthly accounts that had rejected, expired, etc cards in the past do end up getting frozen or banned.

You’ll have to let OpenAI support (or lack of support) make the decision by the payment options they offer manually that are not available in any UI: do they want your $1000+, or do they want a new Anthropic or Mistral customer?

Another idea is to have a backup plan: drop a token credit payment into another account, you you can start the payment aging process and that next large prepayment after a month would automatically take you to high tier if needed.

2 Likes

Hello community,
For March month I have a big amount invoice from OpenAI and I can’t pay the invoice because of the daily limits on my bank card. Bank can’t increase the limit. I write OpenAI support every day on email, in chat, send form to sales team.
Do you have any ideas how I can resolve this problem?
Appreciate your help!

This needs to be resolved with your bank. You need to work with them to get the limit temporarily lifted.

1 Like

I tried, but the bank can’t increase the limit. There is no option for this.

Then your best option is to wait for a response from the OpenAI support and see if they can offer another option. This may take weeks and thus requires a bit of patience. Sorry!

Prior topic that you started.

If OpenAI doesn’t want to make the minimum effort to try to get in touch and get your money in sub-payments, which will ultimately result in the banning of the account, I’d start working up aging on a new account for prepay credits (which will allow more frequent smaller payments).

It is ultimately something that you could have anticipated, and set your monthly limit to no more than you’d have been able to be billed at once when the bill came due.

3 Likes