Accessing GPT4 in playground

Do you know how to: request access to the GPT4 Limited Open Beta ?
I also hv Chat GPT Plus and I have set up Playground to the paid plan…
But I still cannot access the GPT-4 model even if I set Mode to Chat in Playground.

Same for me, I am using the playground, having an api. I am also a Plus subscriber and also got an API Code there. But it has a different organisation code. If i try the link they have send me to open the playground: OpenAI API
it is not working. because it says “The model: gpt-4 does not exist”

1 Like

Everyone, request here!

1 Like

hey, can smone tell me how long on avarge it takse to get aprooved for gpt4 X playground??? or at leats how long the wait was for you??

It can take weeks to get approval, just need to be patient.

2 Likes

Here it says;

For API accounts created after August 18, 2023, you can get instant access to GPT-4 after purchasing $0.50 worth or more of pre-paid credits. You can read about prepaid billing here.

https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7102672-how-can-i-access-gpt-4

So what happens if you created an account before and prepaid $5? Like I still can’t access it, is there something I’m missing?

edit: If you’re on a monthly pp, gpt-4 remains inaccessible, cancel and restart payment plan. It will automatically enroll you in a pre-paid plan (after at least $5 payment). Check back you should now have access to gpt-4.

1 Like

An older account with no payment method previously input will also be offered only the prepayment method.

Without trying, one can only guess if exhausting the current credit balance and paying again will trigger the same GPT-4 instant access process.

Thank you, now I realized that I was on a monthly payment plan. Cancelled that, loaded prepaid credit and tadaa it works! Thanks for the inspiration.

Doesn’t this sound backwards?

Why restrict GPT-4 API to new / prepaid accounts only.

I am an old paying customer, and have a credit card on file. Why not let me just use GPT4 api without these hoops. And why can’t I add prepaid credit to my existing account – if that’s somehow necessary to access GPT4 api.

2 Likes

Yes. Why! And if this is the bizarre resolution, please fix the support docs advice.

It’s restricted to members who have paid at least $1, nothing more than that, if your generate that as bill with the API you will gain access when that billing cycle takes place.

People can’t bill $1 if there is no prepay button for people with registered credit cards.

If the advice is to run up a bill of $1 by spamming API requests, please update the support docs.
If the advice is to cancel and readd the credit card and enable pre-pay this way, please update the support docs.

Please see the OTHER thread you created regarding this, spamming the forum with requests will not be productive.