Your account was flagged for potential abuse

Well, I did all the steps, but still throwing the same error, even when I installed brave only for this purpose. Maybe I’m missing something. Can you explain more about the point 8? I really need to use this tool

1 Like

@AlexDeM what VPN services would recommend? I’m having the same issue (currently in Mexico), and I’m looking for a way to bypass. Thanks!

1 Like

I have a question, Colombia is a supported country?

Sorry for the late reply - time zone.
Item 8.
Chrome, Brave, and Edge are all Chromium-based browsers.
When you get an email/account from Google or Microsoft, the best example, and you sign-up for a trusted service like OpenAI, the trusted service checks your account directly to Google (or Microsoft).
A small window pops up to request your permission for the trusted service to access your Google (or Microsoft) account data. The window shows the Google (or Microsoft) logo and your profile picture on that account. In this example, it usually has the words: “OpenAI wants to access your Google account. It can access your data, your contacts, your phone…” - and the buttons for [Allow] or [Decline].

For a successful sign-up, you will need to Allow. In the OpenAI case, the Google (or Microsoft) account password will be requested. And that is all.
No need to fill in your email and password specifically for OpenAI.

From now on, Google (or Microsoft) will take care of successive sign-ins.
Let’s say your Google password was hacked and someone is trying to access your Google account from another country. Google will send you an email or phone notification for your confirmation, for security reasons. OpenAI loves security.

The following sign-in screens will show a small clickable panel with your Google (or Microsoft) profile picture and “Login with your Google account” - you will always have to click on this login panel, most of the time the password is not required. Except when there is some change, such as cleaning cookies.

In the end, you will not have an OpenAI password that you could forget - this is a one-password-for-all system.

1 Like

ok, I just tried with the google account option, and still the same error, I already wasted 4 emails, in my opinion maybe there is a bug or something with some countries, is there a way you guys can check that?, I really don’t want to create more emails, cause there is a lot of password to remember

1 Like

@curator @joserioscav

Mexico and Colombia are supported countries. You can check here OpenAI API .

At first, they don’t need VPN to access OpenAI services, as far as I know, these countries are not under local bans or suspension.

I couldn’t recommend a VPN because I didn’t make such tests. But if I were to try it out, I’d start with NordVPN - I’d request a free trial if that didn’t work I’d try another one.

In the case of OpenAI, a trusted VPN would come from a supported country with a track record of being safe from hackers. I would avoid the ones from HMA.
The entry point (your side) and the end point (OpenAI side) must both be in supported countries. The best VPNs also let you choose the endpoint.

But I don’t think you need VPN since you are accessing in supported countries.

1 Like

If you like send me in private, your country and system description and we can check it out.

The phone number is not flagged if you used once or even twice. But the emails are flagged. Don’t waste more emails. Let’s see what is going on first.

1 Like

I’m not quite sure if a sent you the information correctly, tell me if you can read it please

1 Like

I just deleted my account, and wanted to make a new one. I added a new email and phone number(that I have never used before) and tried to make a new account. Then I put my email and phone number in and it said my account was flagged for potential abuse. Even though I was making a new account. Could you help me with this?

You made everything new but the IP address should be a new one, as well. The phone is not flagged, the IP is temporarily flagged, but the email is flagged.

This is the most recent update - for Supported Countries only (I suppose you are in one of them now):

1. Clean your computer as much as possible;
  2. Change your IP address;
  3. Install a new different (clean) browser - no privacy, no extensions. The most accepted browsers are Brave, Chrome, Edge, Opera (all confirmed) - Firefox (not fully tested yet);
  4. Close everything related to the Internet and privacy, anti-virus with VPN, ad-blocker, etc.;
  5. Use the “flagged” phone for SMS confirmation code only - it is not “flagged” if you used it only once;
  6. Open a new Gmail email account (or Microsoft) - the previous email is “flagged”. Use the “(non-)flagged” phone for recover;
  7. Open a new OpenAI account - match all your data, phone, and email - wait for the confirmation code via SMS;
  8. IMPORTANT: Click on “Use my Gmail (or Microsoft) account” - allow to read all your account data - do not fill email/password;

If you find any issue getting the OpenAI account - publish or send in private more information about your system.

1 Like

Is the account I’m using to write this the same as the gpt chat account?

IIf that is not the case, haven’t even finished creating the account and it already tells me that it’s flagged

Only you can know that. It is not necessary to be the same email for the forum and the ChatGPT access. You may have both.

If the email you used here, in the forum, was already flagged, you can’t access ChatGPT with this email anymore. You need to use another email of yours or create a new email. Please check the procedure (last update) above. All steps are important to gain access to ChatGPT.

1 Like

I got this error and cannot create account
“Your account was flagged for potential abuse. If you feel this is an error, please contact us at help.openai.com

Please fix my email: hmthanhgm@gmail.com
Could admin OpenAI fix this

1 Like

Please, first check if you are accessing from a supported country here: Supported countries - OpenAI API - otherwise it will be very difficult.

The phone is not flagged, the IP is temporarily flagged, but the email is flagged. You can’t access ChatGPT with this email anymore. You need to use another email of yours or create a new email.

If you are in a supported country, please check the procedure (last update) above.
All steps are important to gain access to ChatGPT.

WOW! First, thanks to everyone’s input (especially AlexDeM) because I thought I was the only person in the world with this problem! I actually felt HURT being accused by openai of abuse. Now I realise the over-sensitive security is effectively abusing not only me but likely millions of others (most won’t even find this forum and just give up.)

Second, I’ll study the suggestions posted here and try some things. I made several attempts over several days to open an account and I now suspect I may (instead of being rejected) actually have opened more than one account but have no way of knowing or accessing it.

Third, I was STAGGERED when I tried to open an account in this forum to thank you, when I was REJECTED for abuse by this forum!!! WHAT? So how come all these others users can post? The error suggested I already had an account. Fortunately, I had kept notes of (most but not all) of my attempts to open an account with open ai, so I entered one user name and matching password. VOILA! I’m in! weird.

If I have any success, I’ll to remember to post back here. Meanwhile, I now accept (thanks to AlexDeM) that’s not the massive disappointment I first experienced but maybe it will take much longer, maybe even months, maybe some other organisation.

It’s so strange, THREE times in my life I’ve tried to pay someone money and been rejected: One was Paintshop Pro X where I tried to pay and was cycled around for over 15 minutes before giving up. (That was years ago.) A month ago I tried to pay for 4K Downloader and was cycled around by CloudFlare guessing scores of obscure traffic lights, buses, etc, before giving up, and now THIS! I know $20 a month is peanuts to open ai but that’s virtually a thousand dollars over 4 years multiplied by how many failed wannabe users? Millions?

All of this is most curious for a website about INTELLIGENCE! :slight_smile:

If you think this technology will help you in your studies, research, or business - don’t give up.
This is just one more difficulty - I think a temporary one. It’s not a perfect technology, but it’s got a lot going for it - it’s interesting, to say the least.
If you are in a supported country, try to follow all the procedure steps carefully, some people did everything right except changing the IP - they couldn’t access it.

If you managed to do everything right and still found a problem, send me the description of your system and access form privately - and we’ll do it step by step.

Sorry for the “wannabe,” I didn’t delete the message because some found it useful.

Thanks. ‘Got a lot going for it’ you say? ‘Interesting at least’? IMO it’s the start of something as significant and probably bigger than the industrial revolution! From all the videos I’ve studied about gpt-4, society is going to change big time. :wink:

Yes, I’m an amateur writer and want to see if gpt-4 can help me improve. I’ll take up your offer of help and contact you by private messaging.

[EDIT - Can’t find any private message feature, nor any way to contact you privately. Tried all the usual methods but I can’t even find your profile page.]

Click on my profile picture in any message, and in the pop-up window click on the Message button.

Maybe it’s different on a mobile phone, but on my desktop pc the popup shows no obvious message button. What does it look like? It can’t be that wine glass or funnel at top right surely?

1 Like

1 Like