Unable to get a streaming Response from ChatGPT

The last 3 days I, and others aswell, have experienced a bug with the online version of ChatGPT.
When Prompting a message, I see no response. If I check the console log I get the following error:

TypeError: Failed to execute 'getReader' on 'ReadableStream': ReadableStreamDefaultReader constructor can only accept readable streams that are not yet locked to a reader
    at em (_app-ee0b14f890279a08.js:26:2445631)
    at eP (_app-ee0b14f890279a08.js:26:2447847)

When I dig into the problem it seems there is an issue with some permission headers since I also get:

Error with Permissions-Policy header: Unrecognized feature: 'document-domain'.

Checking the payload I can also see that I get in the ā€œtā€ the event:

event
:
ā€œAsync Response Took Too Long to Come Backā€.

The names of the different chats in the Chat History is also only named ā€œNew chatā€ for every new chat I try.

I have tried disabling all blockers, such as Ublock Origin, Disconnect, cleared cookies, browser cache, localStorage, Session Storage. I have also tried multiple browser such as Edge and Chrome.

Researching online I find multiple reports where some is able to resolve it by disabling Privacy Badger. This does however not work for all and I do not have this extension installed. I have also tried to disable any windows related network blockers.

If I try on the mobile version I correctly get a streaming response and if I change to my work computer at work, so af different network it also works as expected.

If I refresh the browser after i receive the network response ā€œtā€ I can see the full response, sometimes.

Somes times I also get the folowing error from the console.

_app-ee0b14f890279a08.js:26 WebSocket connection to 'wss://chatgpt-async-_app-ee0b14f890279a08.js:26 WebSocket connection to 'wss://chatgpt-async-webps-prod-eastus-4.webpubsub.azure.com/client/hubs/conversations?access_token=OMITTED' failed:
(OMITTED: this is my access key I have Omitted for obvious reasons )

_app-ee0b14f890279a08.js:26 Uncaught (in promise) Error: [object Event]
    at _app-ee0b14f890279a08.js:26:2555696
    at _socket.onerror (_app-ee0b14f890279a08.js:26:2550220)

Furthermore, if i use the API Access it also works perfectly fine, but is quite slow.

It could be awesome if someone at OpenAI would either response to some of the support tickets or at least give a heads-up if this is an issue on their end or on our endā€¦

EDIT:

I disabled IPv6 on my router and the issue is now resolved.
OpenAI must have changed some settings related to this protocol.

It seems that this only works for some people though, but it have something to do with this protocol.

8 Likes

I have the same problem. It started around Friday.

1 Like

Getting similar issues with streaming failing. If I wait a while then eventually the full response will come up on the page, but streaming is a no go.

Various Errors:

• Error: Failed to start WebSocket: 1006
  • ReadableStream.getReader: Cannot get a new reader for a readable stream already locked by another reader.

Running Firefox on Windows 10.

same issue.

Running Firefox on Windows 10.

I have the same problem too, since last Friday

I disabled IPv6 on my router and the issue is now resolved.
OpenAI must have changed some settings related to this protocol

1 Like

The problem has been fixed.

For future reference, the problem was related to a specific version of Windows.

Windows 10 Home: bad
Windows 11 Pro: good
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS: good

Expand the list as you wish.

Anyway, all good now.

Update 2024-02-16:

The problem is back.

1 Like

The problem has not been fixed because I am still facing the same issue.

Windows 10 Home

I tried, Chrome, Fox and Edge

Today the problem represented itself. This is the error Iā€™m getting:

TypeError: ReadableStream.getReader: Cannot get a new reader for a readable stream already locked by another reader.

Iā€™m using Windows 11 Pro. Browsers: Chrome and Firefox.
Hopefully it will be fixed soon

1 Like

Have same same problem. Worked on Chrome 121.0.6167.160 (on my laptop) but not on the same version at my other PC. Both runs ubuntu, but the flavor on the machine that donā€™t work is cinnamon desktop. Donā€™t know if thatā€™s relevant.

It might be an issue with IP addresses. While I was running GPT with my usual setup; IPv6 and IPv4 simultaneously, the response can sometimes be absent. When I clear the cache and such, and then switch to, for example, IPv4-only, it works better again (at least for now). I suspect that the session sometimes loses data depending on which address interface is sending or receiving the information.

Same problem and itā€™s been going on since Friday

Hey folks, I flagged this to the team so they can take a look!

11 Likes

Flagging the issue from my side too. Started experiencing this problem today (18th Feb, 24).

Iā€™m on an Apple M3 Max (arm64) on Sonoma 14.1, using Chrome Version 121.0.6167.184. Streaming did not work despite: disabling the ad blocker, turning off my VPN, and clearing cookies + localstorage. However, using ChatGPT in Incognito mode made streaming work again.

The console error still persisted, even in incognito mode (with both GPT 3.5 and 4). Here is a truncated version of the error:

_app-5c61b5fdde330fed.js:26 TypeError: Failed to execute 'getReader' on 'ReadableStream': ReadableStreamDefaultReader constructor can only accept readable streams that are not yet locked to a reader
    at e7 (_app-5c61b5fdde330fed.js:26:2500996)
    at eS (_app-5c61b5fdde330fed.js:26:2503212)
eB.<computed> @ _app-5c61b5fdde330fed.js:26
1 Like

same here, disabling ipv6 did not resolve!

_app-a02be31a03e09330.js:26 TypeError: Failed to execute ā€˜getReaderā€™ on ā€˜ReadableStreamā€™: ReadableStreamDefaultReader constructor can only accept readable streams that are not yet locked to a reader
at e7 (_app-a02be31a03e09330.js:26:2504274)
at eS (_app-a02be31a03e09330.js:26:2506490)

1 Like

The OpenAI Status shows ā€œAll Systems Operationalā€, but in reality, it has been a complete outage for some of the users: you cannot prompt anything at all when this bug occurs.

This is a recurring problem. It caused the outage for 5 full days out of the past 16 days.

I suggest OpenAI improve the OpenAI Status to monitor the problem. After all, what problems could be worse than the ones that cause complete outages for a large population in the Chrome/Windows 10 world?

2 Likes

Still having the issue. Windows 10

1 Like

Same issue here. It appeared for the first time about 2 weeks ago. It worked for a while when using Edge instead of Chrome but now itā€™s not working on Edge anymore either. I always get the full response when refreshing the page but no stream. New chats are always called ā€œNew Chatā€. I did not install any add-ons or such to Edge.

2 Likes

Iā€™m facing the exact same issue.
Environment: Windows 10, Chrome, MS Edge, No VPN, company intranet.
Attempts: Using IPv4, clearing cookies, resetting the browser.

Iā€™m using it at work, and the intranet works perfectly for all my colleagues.
We do have a security program, but since all my colleagues and I are using the exact same version, it doesnā€™t seem to be the problem.

1 Like

The problem is still there, but I may have some useful info.

It only happens when Iā€™m on Windows (11 Pro); when Iā€™m using Debian or Android everything works just fine. Iā€™ve done all the tests using the same internet connection by the way.

1 Like