The Whole Morass of Ethics: Copyrights Using A.I. Generators

As a former graphic designer and life-long artist, I was at first thrilled to dip my toes into generating my first Dall-e image to honor the passing of my cat back during Covid.

Dall-e (1 back then) kicked out a nice rather basic painting of a peaceful cat watching a sunrise in a forest.

I did some substantial cleaning up of artifacts, minor composition and color changes. I use it as my smartphone home screen.

But that was back when Dall-e and other platforms started sprouting up. Yet the issue of copyrights has been nagging me more and more.

To the point that for now as my meme states, I no longer use, post, generate or will even buy any A.I. generated content (image or video).

I found a really cute A.I. generated image of an otter, saved it, even printed it out to put in a frame. I spent an insane amount of time doing reverse image searches (Google, TinEye, etc.) to find who had created so I could ask for permission to use it, even just as small poster in my apartment.

But… the nag persists. I still have it saved as a .jpg in case one day I may find the author/creator, but it’s highly unlikely that will ever happen.

I call this my “ethic-compulsive” side. And it really sucks for I just can’t partake of this whole world of amazing content - including applying my own past skills to create such.

I’ve watched video on this whole copyright issue and read articles such as “The Dark Side of AI Art: 5 Potential Issues With the Growing Trend” (I couldn’t include the link).

Each one of us must make their own choices. I welcome any OpenAI staff and/or others to share their perspectives.

Thanks.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, Newsoniclight!

I feel your pain, and I agree this may be an issue in the world we live in.

But remember, world in 5-10 years won’t be the same as today. I frankly think it will be different beyond recognition (at least for some hypothetical outsider looking at it).

When I hear such concerns like yours, I always try to contemplate: will the Y (in your case - copyright) be the same as it is now. And in most case I come to a conclusion it will be VERY different, because the world will be different and the old concepts just won’t be applicable.

1 Like

Thanks for reply. Truthfully, I thought I’d perhaps ruffled some feathers here since OpenAI is going through a multi-prong lawsuit and I’d be shunned.

But in one sense, my concerns are also rooted in that I’ve been someone who tends to root for the underdog most of my life. Which isn’t dishonorable per se.

Maybe as you said, some compromises and/or new protections will emerge that won’t keep benefitting the large companies and entities over those with either little or no means.

Likewise, perhaps I need to be a bit more flexible without shunning principles. For example, Adobe and Shutterstock have a form of IP protection for their A.I generators and content, though it’s mainly there to protect enterprise clients from lawsuits as far as I understand it.

Shutterstock has an A.I. generator based on Dall-e 3 that it claims is based on already licensed content (I assume their vast stock). Tempted to perhaps sign up for it since it’s affordable for me.

But I’m ignorant on the under-the-hood stuff:

Can or does Shutterstock limit what its models use to onlyuse their content, or does Dall-e 3 come pre-packaged with what it has harvested off of the Net (way beyond Shutterstock’s content)?

Yep, I’m gonna keep drivin’ myself nuts with all of these questions…

2 Likes