Seeking Advice: How to Boost Credibility as a Tech Hobbyist

Hey everyone!

I’m reaching out for some friendly advice. You see, I’m not exactly an expert in IT or anything like that, just a hobbyist with a passion for using technology to simplify life.

I’ve been toying with the idea of creating some lessons on how to use ChatGPT for everyday tasks, like automating things and making life a bit smoother, also gpt’s. I’m also thinking of diving into ChatGPT API calls + ManyChat/Zapier/Make.
But here’s the kicker: I don’t have a strong background in these areas. So, I’m wondering, how can I make myself sound more credible? How can I show that I know what I’m talking about, even though I’m not an expert? I’ve noticed that many streamers on YouTube and socials talk about basic stuff they’ve heard from others. In my case, I’m a huge fan of learning from scratch. However, for something like ChatGPT, it might be helpful to reference authoritative courses like Deep Learning.
And still, I think it’s not enough to build authority…
If you’ve got any tips or tricks, or if you’ve been in a similar situation, I’d love to hear from you. Your advice could really help me grow and share some useful knowledge with others.

1 Like

Hey!

I’m anything but an expert in Youtube & Co. but here are some things I would consider:

1. When you showcase lessons and examples, pick examples that YOU feel comfortable with and that you can relate to - and importantly that you’ve come up with and tested yourself.

2. When demonstrating the examples, build in best practices - these best practices can then be sourced from official pages, such as OpenAI guides or other sources that you deem credible. Be transparent about the source when you reference the best practices.

3. Consider sharing details about your own learning process as you’ve developed your test cases. What challenges did you encounter and how did you overcome them? What practices did you find most helpful.

Many of us have only started fairly recently their journey of working with LLMs. It’s perfectly fine to not yet be an expert on all dimensions. My personal opinion is that it will likely make you more relatable and credible if you stay authentic and slowly build up the complexity in your examples and lessons as you expand your own knowledge.

As said above, I would always stick to examples you’ve tested extensively yourself. Own testing provides you with the best insights and you will naturally be more comfortable talking about it.

2 Likes

I Agree with @jr2509 with the usual caveat you can represent personal development with examples, testing, and support of case process notes. In addition to these steps, enjoy the learning process. I can’t stress enough, dive into and follow case study examples of the tools that you use . For example, Make; read their use cases and complete the same use cases as exercises. Once you have completed the tasks and understand the flexibility of that tool create several templates for your library of experience and offer them up on Fiver or another platform for use. Write an explanation on how you would use your template and put it up on GitHub. Continue to write and interact with others in the community. Sharing your work freely once you have documentation, tested the use case and examples will build your profile. Credibility comes with time and experience in a variety of tool set solutions. Explore, learn, create.repeat. Always evolving

2 Likes

Many thanks @jr.2509 ! I feel that it’s a good point for implementing in every step, not only as a beginner. Thanks for sharing insights!

1 Like

@latch.chorea0a i didn’t even think about GitHub as a part of my path. wow. You made me rethink my strategy. Thanks!