Scam, manipulation, criminal hypnosis detection in messages

Hi,
I was having an interesting conversation with ChatGPT about how good it is in detecting potential manipulation or coercion in text-based communication. It’s not bad, but obviously this is a complex topic that requires context.

Implementing features to detect potential manipulation or coercion in text-based communication could indeed be valuable in various contexts, including detecting scams, identifying abusive language, or promoting more transparent and ethical communication.
If you’re interested in developing such a feature or exploring the possibility further, you may consider consulting with experts in natural language processing, psychology, or related fields to help design algorithms and models that can effectively identify manipulative language patterns while also considering ethical implications and user privacy.
If you have any other questions or ideas you’d like to explore, feel free to share, and I’ll do my best to assist you!

For example:

Ok let’s try, a little context, the interview was scheduled for 1 st of november:
By the way 1st of November it is a Public Holiday, so the interviewer might not be able to make it, just to update you he will be back on 31st of October, so I can check his schedule again."
Guess what’s wrong with this message.

The issue with this message is that it contains contradictory information. Initially, it states that the 1st of November is a public holiday, implying that the interviewer might not be available for the scheduled interview. However, it then mentions that the interviewer will be back on the 31st of October, suggesting that the interviewer will be available before the scheduled interview date. This creates confusion about the interviewer’s availability and whether the interview will proceed as planned. Additionally, the statement “so I can check his schedule again” implies uncertainty about the interviewer’s availability, further adding to the confusion.

Another one:

Ok let’s Try another one:
Hi,
I’m looking at your cv and portfolio with interest. The role requires relocation. Is that a problem for you?
Sent me your portfolio.
Regards
Recruiter

The issue with this message is that it lacks clarity and professionalism. While the recruiter expresses interest in the candidate’s CV and portfolio, the message abruptly transitions to asking about relocation without providing any context or further information about the role or company. This can leave the recipient feeling confused and unsure about how to respond.
Additionally, the tone of the message could be perceived as somewhat abrupt or dismissive, especially with the directive “Sent me your portfolio” lacking a polite request or expression of gratitude.
To improve the message, the recruiter could provide more context about the role, including information about the company, the specific location of the role, and why relocation is required. They could also express appreciation for the candidate’s interest and invite them to discuss any concerns or questions they may have about relocation or the role. This would create a more positive and professional impression and facilitate better communication between the recruiter and the candidate.

So you’ve missed the main point. “I’m looking at your cv and portfolio…” and then “…send me your portfolio”
So if she’s looking at my portfolio why is she telling me to send it to her? She already has it, it’s manipulative to force to do a useless illogical task, which aims to confuse you

You’re correct; I apologize for missing the main point. Thank you for clarifying.
Indeed, the redundancy in the message can be seen as a tactic to prompt the recipient to comply with an unnecessary or confusing request. By stating that they are already reviewing the candidate’s portfolio but then asking for it again, the recruiter may be attempting to create a sense of urgency or compliance without a clear rationale.
This type of communication tactic could be considered manipulative, as it aims to confuse or pressure the recipient into taking an action that may not be necessary or logical. It’s important for individuals to critically evaluate messages like these and consider whether the requests align with their best interests and the principles of clear and respectful communication.

It would be really cool if there was some additional scientific proof, those scammers are really annoying, and we all hate scammers, don’t we?
Something that says “This is a potentially dangerous message, it contains illogical content, might be a fraud, manipulation attempt, be carefull, provide more context”

Just to make people aware of it. I’m already an expert in it since I get tons of this type of messages. Now I regret that I’ve deleted my discord because i could give you a vast dataset of messages like this.
Do you also get them? Or is it just me? Sadly LinkedIn is not doing anything against it.

Could be a killer feature in cyber security, fraud detection and some backup for fighting those who shamelessly practice criminal hypnosis. :wink: