RateLimitError: Error code: 429

Hello,

I’ve just updated my account with $10 for credit.

I’m working on a small project, but when I try to get an embeddings model text-embedding-ada-002 I get the error.

RateLimitError: Error code: 429 - {
    'error': {
        'message': 'You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details. For more information on this error, read the docs: https://platform.openai.com/docs/guides/error-codes/api-errors.',
        'type': 'insufficient_quota',
        'param': None,
        'code': 'insufficient_quota'}
}

1 Like

If you’re running a lot of embeddings at once, be aware of rate limits for various tiers

Thanks for your answer @PaulBellow!
That’s very helpful!

But would I see that consumption in the dashboard?
I think what puzzles me is that I cannot see anything there.

1. Go to billing overview and see your credit balance
  2. Wait several hours for the actual payment to go through and propagate in order to actually spend the balance on API products.
  3. Generate a new API key and familiarize yourself with new options while waiting…

@_j Thanks a lot for your answer :pray:

1. I went to the credit balance and I can see my money

2. It’s been more than 24 hours since I added that money

3. I have already done that, thanks for the idea

Unfortunately, I’m still unable to use the money. I’m sure it could be something I’m missing, but I’m also feeling very disappointed because I’ve been trying to get some OpenAI support, and so far (more than 24 hrs) I haven’t gotten any kind of response or help.

If anyone knows how could I proceed I would be thankful, so far I’ve only been able to interact through the chat, but if there’s an email where I can communicate as well, that would be great

The next steps for you:

• Generate a new API key immediately from the organization with credit balance. Don’t mess with the API key restriction settings.
  • Place that as a new environment variable in your OS or execution environment and reload
  • Make code to print the API key being used if it still won’t go

python shows key:

from openai import OpenAI
client = OpenAI()
print(client.api_key)

Hope that API key stuff helps!