429 - You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details

Hi,

We are facing with 429 - You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details. even though enough credit is available , seems we have hit our rate limit. Is rate limit is calculated like per day or per month?

1. Can we wait for one day without API and see if its working?
  2. Currently we are in Tier3. To move to Tier4, we have to buy enough credits(250$). It means add X credits (250$-credit added so far)?
    • At least 14 days passed since first successful payment- Does it means from the day we opened the account?

Expecting faster solution please.

1 Like

Myself and others included have ran into the same issue where there are more than enough credits to run the API but for some reason it gives out the error. So far I’ve used only 35% of my monthly quota but I am having the same issue.

When this happened to me I just needed to add more funds to my account. I can’t remember if it had gone negative or there was just some minimum like $5 or something?

Should I try adding more funds? I have a total of 250 per month and barely used a quarter of it

If you mean $250 of credit then that’s not likely the problem, right.

Right. Which is why I am confused as to why I might be getting that error.

When this same error happened to me, one thing I did to try to remedy it was to generate a new API key too, and re-check security on my server, because a leaked/hacked key is one possible reason this can happen.

We are also experiencing this issue. We are way under token limit and also $ usage, but we got this issue randomly in our production environment without having touched anything. The 3.5 and 4 models are working but the text embeddings model ada is throwing us this error. Even our organization usage is below monthly quota. @openai needs to take a look at this issue ASAP

If you’re in a big hurry, you can make a new account and add a minimal fund to keep the operation running. Wait for the issue to be fixed in your main account.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to hear you’re running into some trouble. I wanted to quickly chime in, and reference _j’s post here regarding this error message.

With prepaid billing, there’s a distinction between your upper limit of credits (defined in the Usage Limit page) and the number of credits you’ve actually purchased. I know this can be unintuitive after being familiar with the pay-as-you-go monthly true-up billing, and I apologize for the confusion.

I hope this helps unblock you!

This and other topics reference not simply a user confusion, but a platform issue: funded accounts getting 429 errors from endpoints, randomly, yet persistently per account or ever per model.

Then there are considerable delays in being able to spend new funds, despite the payment being shown as a credit balance.

Then there is the payment platform giving “slow down” errors when trying to pay or top up, refusing all cards, etc.

This all likely originates from the Stripe payment platform - and OpenAI using it for accounting of every single API call by the token, and using its unreliable backend to pass or deny users.

You don’t blame the users - you fix the platform issues.

This is confusing.We have still credit available and from all articles,msgs I read seems we have hit rate limit.
Currently we are in Tier3. Exceeded rate limit means we have consumed per day limit or per.month limit?

We’re having the same problem, our API has not reach the limit but we still have that error, this is confusing, can someone fix this ASAP