OpenAI & Ultima Online

Welcome to the UO OpenAI project! We are a community of developers and researchers who are dedicated to incorporating OpenAI into the game environment of Ultima Online, using the ServUO emulator. Our goal is to create a functional system that allows the non-player characters (NPCs) in the game to interact with players using the OpenAI technology. This will add more depth and realism to the game, as the NPCs will be able to hold conversations and respond to player input in a natural and lifelike way. We hope you will join us in this exciting project and help bring the world of Ultima Online to life!

UO OpenAI

10 Likes

Watching with interest!

2 Likes

You see the following
Join

Everyone has there own opinion
MultiAI

Enjoy, More to come, keep your eyes open!

Honestly this is my favorite use case, making games immersive. Not to insult the AI (May our future overlord be merciful in its wisdom!) but I’m genuinely unsure anything that learns from our internet usage in the form of tokens can actually be that much smarter than an educated layman.

I’m an educated layman.

I’m an idiot. You should not trust me for medical, legal, electronics, writing advice. If you ask me about women you should actively do the opposite of whatever I advise.

On the other hand, I’ve seen lots of educated laymen have a lot of fun playing characters, PCs, NPCs, Monsters, et al. Give me an update of Morrowind where all the dialogue is in a database and the AI remixes it to answer the PC’s questions from the perspective of different characters.

4 Likes

Happy New Years

Update : A storage system has been added to the NPC’s local Q&A database to house replies to questions. This allows the NPC’s to access a local library of responses, rather than making calls to the AI’s API for every question. This not only streamlines the process, but also reduces the cost of using the AI in a multiplayer game, as the number of calls to the API will decrease over time as the local library of responses grows. Early players are essentially paving the way for future players by contributing to the expansion of the local library!

1 Like

Hey, Tim “Draconi” Cotten here, lead designer on UO: Stygian Abyss. I left a full state machine for NPC acting that works across areaservs in the codebase before I left EA, utilized for the Trial of Ricardo and Sherry the Mouse.

If Mesanna and team left that stuff running it could be easily leveraged for a ChatGPT integration through the outbound API we used for communicating with the external housing system db.

Great work experimenting with this! I literally just patented some related tech and would love to see MMORPGs leverage ChatGPT and Bard for more “living world” NPCs.

If there’s a good non-OSI shard doing this let me know. I want to check it out!

2 Likes

Fantastic Idea utilizing local database for NPC responses