I've been charged 300$ from OpenAI

In a span of 2 hours today I’ve been charged a total of 300$ from OpenAI,
I never had an OpenAI account, I don’t even know what it is. I’ve already contacted my bank and OpenAI support but so far just have to wait. Does anyone know what is going on?

When you say charged by OpenAI are you seeing $300 in charges on the API Usage Dashboard or have you received a bill for ChatGPT?

If it’s the API dashboard the most likely explanation is that an API key of yours has been leaked/stolen (possibly if you gave it to an application you found online to test a service/application?)

I’m not sure what you mean by never having an OpenAI account though, you must’ve given card details somewhere at some point to be charged.

I was charged for USD 190 during 10 minutes. Don’t have any payment methods minded, API Keys issued no Plus subscription! Support keeps silent! Looks like they losing control…

Yesterday my credit card was charged USD 100 and USD 900 by OpenAI. Their third attempt over USD 1000 was rejected by my bank. All the three attempts happened within 1 hour.

So, they took USD 1000 from me in total.

I created a free OpenAI account 6 months ago, have never logged in since then and have not provided any credit card details and never made a paid subscription with them.

Are you really sure it is openAI ? cause writting openAI as text reference is not hard… Getting your credit card number and bank authorisation out of nowhere is harder and even impossible.

If you did not provided any credit card detail here, I don’t see how they could charge you…

(tbh, I think someone has stolen your credit card numbers… and I guess it is not openAI)

That sounds like straightforward credit card fraud, that is only coincident with you actually having a free OpenAI account (like hundreds of millions do).

You should follow a path of any type of fraud you’d experience, where all the charges should be immediately charged back by your bank after reporting, and then get a new credit card number issued after that one is cancelled.

At least having an OpenAI account, you have a venue for reporting your credit card issue, by the “help” at platform.openai.com. They won’t know your credit card number, and the account using it likely isn’t yours (check your billing details there) – and you may want to keep it that way.

1 Like

Talked to my bank. They say the card got charged by OpenAI. They will investigate further. I wrote in the support chat of OpenAI too.

Right. We’re thinking that someone stole your card then used it to purchase API credits…

1 Like

Not the card itself but the information on it. I agree with that.

The same thing happen to me with a total amount of approximately 3000 USD. I have contacted the bank and they confirmed it’s OpenAI. I have contacted OpenAI but I have not recieved any response yet. They do have serious problems in terms of billing…