How long can I expect a Deactivated User Appeal to take?

Like many other users here, I was banned for trying to refine a prompt that was disallowed for unclear reasons. I submitted an appeal about a week ago and haven’t heard anything-- I tried starting a support chat conversation about it today, but I was notified “your conversation has ended” shortly thereafter.

How long can I expect this to take? Will they tell me if my appeal has been rejected?

And if they do reject my appeal (or, heaven forbid, already have rejected it), can I at least get a refund for all the unused credits I’ve bought? I’d much rather use them and then buy more, but if OpenAI isn’t going to let me use or refund what I’ve bought, I can’t help but feel like that borders on fraud. Even if the TOS violation somehow makes that legal, the TOS are so vague, opaque, and inconsistently enforced (and specifically in a way that’s extremely prone to automated error), I don’t see how any court could consider it a reasonable standard for delivering pre-paid service.

2 Likes

my account just got deactivated , on the grounds of violation of policies of ChatGPT , where i can email my problem and how can reactivate my account as for 1 month , my mischievous younger brother was on my pc writing some random things on ChatGPT , while I was away from city , unknown to all this I think , the things asked by my brother violated so much that it caused deactivation of my account so I just want to appeal to ChatGPT reactivate my account as it is very helpful in my competitive exam preparation and this reactivation of my account will resume my journey of preparation of competitive exams. Please ChatGPT officials , consider my problem

I have heard no account here of someone reporting back their banned account was restored.

Especially unlikely is with a chat history full of violations.

If human agents could be jailbroken (like an AI made to say bad things) by a sad story about bad brothers, hackers, bipolar disorders, and multiple personalities, to generate an undesirable outcome such as reactivating a banned account, it wouldn’t be much of a ban.

The place for your followup communications if you still wish to pursue this is the help.openai.com message assistant.