How do I use ChatGPT-4o Voice Feature in Windows Desktop App?

Two things:

1. When I access ChatGPT-4o via the web page, I have a headphone icon to turn on and off TTS, but I can only choose three Microsoft voices. None of the OpenAI voices are available, even with Juniper actvated.

2. In the ChatGPT-4o desktop app, there is no headphone icon nor any way indicated to turn on/off Voice Chat (TTS).

So how do I activate TTS/Voice in Windows Desktop (either the app or the web page interface)?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @underhillemt 1. Which webpage are you talking about? 2. OpenAI has not released a Windows desktop app yet?

I think you might be confusing the built in AI tools in Windows or Bing.

I tried to reply via email, but not sure it’s working. Here’s a copy:

Hm. I’m definitely using a Windows desktop app; had it for months. (See screen shot).

As for the webpage I’m talking about, it’s the standard web method of using ChatGPT: chatgpt dot com (sorry, new user, can’t include a link).

I actually had TWO images, but as a new user can only post one

The ChatGPT App window on PC.

1 Like

Hi,@underhillemt
For me, just to the first time for this web, please be advice, i want to download chatGPT-4o on my PC Laptop, How i do

1 Like

@phittk, go here: https://openai.com/chatgpt/download/ It’s the blue one on the right.

yeah, but it’s for MacOS only, no MS-Windows!

1 Like

What is only for Mac?

The desktop app is available for both. (I use Windows, and the desktop app).

Can you send a link to where the Windows version is downloadable?

(I really think something is not right here, OpenAI sites says there is no Windows version)

1 Like

Maybe I misspoke as to a “Windows Version” or “App.” I’m talking about the web based interface when accessed from PC.

(sorry, I “can’t include links in my post” now for some reason. Oh brother… I still can’t. It’s (chat) and then (dot) and then (openai) and another dot, then com.

That one is what I use. However, you can apparently download a “Desktop” version by going here:

This one is openai and com, then / that slash, then chatgpt, another slash and then download.

…and clicking on the right side (blue one) as I mentioned a couple posts again to @ phittk. It let me post a link there, but not sure why I can’t now. shrug Go back up a couple messages, you’ll see the link.

it says

*The desktop app is only available for macOS 14+ with Apple Silicon (M1 or better). Coming to Windows later this year.

1 Like

That windows application is an unofficial app developed and deprecated by lencx, no official support from openAI. the voice feature is only available for the official Mac app

1 Like

I can’t understand why we can only talk to the app (android, iphone etc) and not to the desktop browser. Why oh why?

1 Like

Looking at the screenshot it looks like he’s talking about PWA (Progressive Web App). You can download PWA for almost any website in Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Safari or other modern browsers.

It seems the reason behind this confusion might be articles published on websites like How-to Geek and MakeUseOf. Their titles sound more like it’s a Windows app. But in reality, it’s not a ChatGPT app for Windows. It’s just a PWA.

They might be doing it for some keywords and rankings on the web. :slight_smile:

“Hello, I installed WSA (Windows Subsystem for Android)
on Windows and downloaded ChatGPT 4.0 to use the voice feature on the Windows desktop, but I keep getting the error related to time shown in the screenshot, which I couldn’t fix. If anyone manages to fix this error and use the feature, please let me know here. Thanks.”

WSA (Windows Subsysytem for Android)