Having a really hard time getting longer responses

Try as I may, I’m mostly getting 5 or less word responses. I’ve switched up my prompts and parameters dozens of times. Could anyone help me out? I’m looking to generate a thoughtful philosophical discussion in which it outputs answers roughly between 2 and 5 sentences.

Hi @SidianMSJones, you might need to increase response length (in the playground) or token length when using API. Have you checked those?

Yup, no matter how high I put it, same results.

You’ll need to post your prompts and settings.

Using davinci-instruct, what works for me is something like “T’zili is an elven king who doesn’t care for his job but feels responsible to protect his people from the orcish threat, only because of his position as king. Write several paragraphs describing his first incursion with the orcs.

T’zili was only 10 years old, but he knew what had to be done. His people were at risk from the orcish raids and he had to protect them. Armed with a long, silver sword and thick-soled boots, he marched out into the Orcish Forest.

His first day was quiet. He made it to the edge of the forest before nightfall, and secured a place to sleep for the night. The next day passed similarly, and on the third day he heard a rustling in the bushes. He held his breath and readied himself for battle, but when he saw that it was just a deer, he relaxed and let out a sigh.

The fourth day was different. He heard footsteps in the distance, and as he looked up he saw an orc emerging from the trees. It charged at him with a screech and T’zili parried its strike with his sword.

The fight was quick and T’zili managed to kill the creature with one swing of his blade, but there were more footsteps and soon T’zili found himself surrounded by orcs - all intent on killing him.

Detailed context helps, and literally telling it to do several paragraphs makes it write several paragraphs.

Multiple paragraphs tends to be lower quality though; this is a best case. I recommend manually doing one, then the next. Fine-tuning it with longer inputs like a sample paragraph helps a lot. Or giving it even more context.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t :rofl:

Seriously what did it mean by “Activate Premium!”

2 Likes