Getting longer generated outputs

Hey hey.

I’ve been trying to generate stories with the davinci model, but the stories generated are quite short in length. I’ve been trying different things, from “write 500 words” to “write 3 pages” to “write 3 paragraphs” but nothing seems to really work. The length of the story created doesn’t seem to change much.

Any tips?

You might try to give it an example with 1000 words maybe and ask for a text of similar length. I didn’t try that yet, but might work.

I’ve been toying asking for “an article” instead of a story, and I think it works better.

Sounds good, but because of token limits that can’t work yet.

Using ChatGPT 3.5 I often encountered the same issue with single replies being 500-600 words each. Not sure if that’s maybe hitting the maximum reply length.
Ultimately I used a prompt guiding the model to create a almost crazy long text but needed to prompt “continue” in order to actually get the whole text. Here is a link: continue long text

Don’t mind the example as this is just a good example regarding a topic with much to say about making it easy for the model to actually create a lengthy reply.

Here is the prompt: “Hi! Write a long and laborious text about water fasting for a prolonged period of time. Split the text into an overview and several sub paragraphs. Then summarize each paragraph and provide an overview of the details included in the paragraph. Then elaborate every detail by providing a overview and detailed deep dive before summarizing extensively. Then summarize the paragraph in great length. Finally extend on all paragraphs by creating an exhaustive and complete overview of everything written before.”

Hope this helps.