Facing Issue: "The requested action requires approval"

Hi here!

I want to get started with the custom GPT’s custom actions and integrating my own API. Sadly I cannot spin up a working example that is abled to connect to a public API. For instance, I just try to integrate the JSON Placeholder API which just returns a list of ToDo’s at /todos or a given ToDo at /todos/{id}

That’s my (very simple) OpenAPI Schema:

openapi: 3.0.0
info:
  title: JSONPlaceholder API
  version: 1.0.0
servers:
  - url: https://jsonplaceholder.typicode.com/
paths:
  /todos:
    get:
      summary: List all todos
      operationId: listTodos
      tags:
        - todos
      responses:
        '200':
          description: Successfull request of all todos
          content:
            application/json:
              schema:
                type: array
                items:
                  $ref: '#/components/schemas/Todo'

components:
  schemas:
    Todo:
      type: object
      properties:
        id:
          type: integer
        userId:
          type: integer
        title:
          type: string
        completed:
          type: boolean

When I try to test the operation “listTodos” (which uses /todos ) I always get the error message “The requested action requires approval” within my GPT chat.

Is there anything I need to approve for the action to generally access API’s?

Thanks a lot for your help.

3 Likes

I pinned this, the pin will end in about 3 and half hours.

There have been a few other topics noting

“The requested action requires approval”

If this gets many more replies with details will extend the pin time limit and hopefully a solution will be noted.

In reding a related post it is noted by mikemiers224

I guess we need to wait a while. I have encountered errors before and they disappeared on their own after some time. I think the system is currently being updated or undergoing maintenance, as most users are now at night or early in the morning (I mean users from the USA).

I experience the same issue with my GPT now, even though before it was able to authorize in my API

2 Likes

Same issue right here. I am trying to use GPTs Actions with Zapier.

2 Likes

Same issue here, all of my custom GPT’s with actions are producing this error message.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing it up. Same issue here. I think it has to do with the assistant not asking before making the call, therefore without receiving those permissions it won’t be allowed to perform the action and make an error. Let’s see if OpenAI can fix the bug.

3 Likes

Btw I asked it to ask me before making the action, and it does but with text, not displaying the button you have to click to allow it.

1 Like

We’re developing custom GPT, everything was fine for the past few days but today we’re starting to see this error in the debug

"message": "The requested action requires approval",

We’re calling our APIs and getting responses but this no longer works. What happened?

4 Likes

same error. An error occurs when sending an action to zapier. Before there was a choice to allow it or not, but now it’s gone. The error only appeared today, never seen before. I noticed that in the privacy settings of custom gpt, the item where permission is required for actions has disappeared. Perhaps the system is being updated.

We are also getting the error. The API endpoints work when accessing them from anywhere else (Postman, Browser, etc.)
Also we noticed, that the “allow this action” button is no longer there.

I guess we need to wait a while. I have encountered errors before and they disappeared on their own after some time. I think the system is currently being updated or undergoing maintenance, as most users are now at night or early in the morning (I mean users from the USA).

1 Like

I got the same issue starting from this morning, it doesnt ask for the permissions anymore.

2 Likes

There could be some correlation with this noted at OpenAI Status

Not resolved for me altough the status is set to “resolved”. Still getting the same errors as before resolve.

Also reported here:

3 Likes

also facing the same issue with actions in GPTs. Example action id and operation hash in case it helps the devs debug:
“operation_hash”: “962d1273f581aafa8ffeea8978691d7823488e7c”
“action_id”: “g-206682c4ba4c6af164c21441141e712810e03cc5”

2 Likes

Even though the issues listed there is marked as “resolved” since 4 hours, the issue with the non-approved actions still appears for me and lot of users at this moment.

2 Likes

Just tested all of my GPT actions, they are all different and still getting the same error. So whatever incident that has been resolved is either not related or taking time to propagate across the system.

1 Like

Thanks to those with feedback about the status notification. Can’t learn if we don’t share information.

1 Like

[SOLUTION] I wanted to share a workaround for those facing issues with custom GPT actions and integrating public APIs, like the JSON Placeholder API. If you’re getting the “The requested action requires approval” error in your GPT chat, here’s what worked for me:

1. Log out of your account.
  2. Log back in.
  3. After relogging, go to the privacy settings located at the top left of the GPT chat.
  4. Change the permissions to “always allow.”

This simple process helped me overcome the permission issues and might be useful for anyone experiencing similar problems. Hope this helps and have a nice Day :slight_smile: !

4 Likes

I found this topic with a solution:

Tips:
You may need to reconnect to be able to change these settings.
Sometimes it reverts after making only a few calls.
“Always Allow” is a temporary workaround for GET requests.
You may not be able to use it while triggering actions.

1 Like