ChatGpt Project - Flexibility to choose between "Work" and "Chat"

Chats created within projects are currently automatically assigned as Work chats. I would like the ability to choose, on a per-chat basis, whether a chat should be a regular Chat or a Work chat. This would allow planning and implementation to be managed cleanly within the same project.

I am planning several large-scale projects where this flexibility is essential for maintaining a smooth and efficient workflow. This feature would significantly improve the organization and management of complex, long-term projects.

I ran into the same issue. I agree 100%. It completely disrupts my workflow to be forced to use work chats when regular chats are better for brainstorming and planning. We should have a choice.

I was able to create a chat, then drag it into a project. But that is an awkward workflow. I need the chat to adhere to the project’s parameters from the first prompt. Are we supposed to just prompt: “This us a new chat.” to create the chat, then drag it into the project to begin using it? Very odd. We need to be able to assign the chat to a project like you can with the work chat.

All my message is super simple - Voice chat in Project and Work Chats, would be amazing! So far not possible. If you can, please implemet. I am amazed what is possible with ChatGPT

I’ve run into a slightly different version of the same problem.

I use Projects for long-running work, and conversations can become hundreds of messages long.

At that point, it isn’t always obvious whether I’m currently in Chat or Work without going back through the conversation.

If Chat and Work represent different ways of working, I think the current mode should be clearly visible where we’re actually working — not something users have to hunt for.

It sounds like a small UX issue, but it becomes much more important as a project gets longer.

Thanks for the feedback! You can choose Chat or Work in eligible Projects, but Work isn’t available with project-only memory, including shared projects: https://help.openai.com/en/articles/10169521. We can share the request for broader support and a clearer mode indicator with the product team; we don’t have a timeline.