Switch between Chat and Work modes

Hi OpenAI team,

I’d like to suggest a feature for ChatGPT.

Currently, if I start a conversation in Work mode and later realize that I want to continue the same conversation in normal Chat mode, there doesn’t appear to be a simple way to switch the existing conversation while preserving the entire context.

It would be very useful to have a “Switch to Chat” / “Switch to Work” option inside an existing conversation.

For example:

Work Mode → Switch to Chat → Continue the same conversation

Chat Mode → Switch to Work → Continue the same conversation

The conversation history, uploaded files, instructions, and context should remain available after switching modes.

This would be especially helpful when a task begins as a larger Work task but later only requires normal conversation, or when a normal conversation grows into a task that would benefit from Work mode.

Please consider adding this capability.

Welcome to the forum!

I asked the AI to shorten the title, it was just to long…

Adding my experience because this would substantially improve how I use ChatGPT.

I often spend a long time in regular Chat discussing, planning, drafting, reviewing information, and iterating. At some point, one particular task may benefit from Work, but I do not want that to require starting a separate conversation or permanently turning the entire conversation into Work.

Ideally, Work would be explicit and task-scoped:

  • let me switch the current conversation from Chat → Work when a task actually needs it
  • clearly indicate before execution that the turn will use Work allowance
  • preserve the full conversation history, files, instructions, and context
  • let me return to normal Chat afterward in the same conversation

I have previously found it unclear when a conversation was using Work versus ordinary Chat, which matters because Work has a separate limited allowance.

The goal for me is not automatic escalation. I want to be able to deliberately choose the appropriate capability for a particular task while keeping one continuous conversation.