I would like ChatGPT to evolve from being primarily an application that I open into a universal personal-assistant layer that works across my devices, applications, services, and data.
The experience I want
I should be able to say:
“Hey ChatGPT…”
from my phone, car, computer, or home and simply ask for what I want without first deciding which application contains the information or which application needs to perform the task.
ChatGPT should determine which authorized service, application, computer, or device is needed, retrieve the necessary information, reason across multiple sources when appropriate, and—with appropriate permissions—perform the requested action.
For example:
- “How many miles did we drive last month?” → Life360 or vehicle data
- “How well did I sleep this week?” → Sleep Number and wearable/health data
- “Is my 3D printer finished?” → Bambu Lab printer
- “Did anyone come to the front door while we were gone?” → Ring
- “Take me to my daughter’s house.” → Google Maps/navigation
- “How much did we spend last month?” → connected financial accounts
- “What does tomorrow look like?” → Calendar, Gmail, weather, traffic, tasks, etc.
- “Print this on my office printer.” → local/network printer
- “Scan this and put it in my tax folder.” → scanner and file system
- “Put this on the living-room TV.” → smart TV/casting system
- “Turn the thermostat down to 70 degrees.” → smart-home system
- “Send this document to my wife.” → contacts, messaging/email, and files
The important point is that I should not have to know which app to open or which device interface to use.
I tell ChatGPT the outcome I want. ChatGPT determines which authorized applications, devices, computers, and information sources are needed.
Hands-free access
This also needs a true hands-free invocation comparable to:
“Hey Google…”
or
“Alexa…”
I would like to be able to say:
“Hey ChatGPT…”
and immediately interact with my ChatGPT assistant without touching my phone or opening the application.
This becomes particularly important while driving, cooking, working in a shop, exercising, or otherwise using my hands.
Ideally, this identity and assistant relationship should follow me between my phone, computer, vehicle, and home devices.
Cross-application reasoning and actions
The real value would come from ChatGPT being able to reason and act across applications instead of treating every integration as an isolated connection.
For example:
“I’m leaving for my appointment in an hour. Is there anything I need to know?”
ChatGPT could potentially consider:
- Calendar appointment and location
- Current traffic and travel time
- Weather
- Relevant recent emails
- Tasks associated with the appointment
- Vehicle status or range
and give me one useful answer.
Likewise:
“Print the itinerary for our trip.”
should allow ChatGPT to locate the correct itinerary, select my authorized local printer, format the document appropriately, and print it—asking me for confirmation when appropriate.
That is fundamentally more useful than requiring me to understand which application or device performs each part of a task.
Security and permissions
This should NOT require giving ChatGPT unrestricted control of everything.
Permissions should be granular.
Examples:
Financial accounts Read and analyze transactions, but never move money without separate authorization.
Ring Read device status and events, but require additional authorization for security-setting changes.
Bambu Lab printer Read print progress, temperatures, camera and filament status; require confirmation before canceling or starting a print.
Google Maps Find destinations, build routes and launch navigation.
Health devices Read authorized health and wellness information while maintaining appropriate privacy controls.
Local computers and devices Allow individually approved capabilities such as printing, scanning, accessing designated folders, controlling media devices, or interacting with approved applications.
Permissions should distinguish between read, create, modify, control, and high-risk actions.
Users should be able to decide exactly what ChatGPT can read and what it can control.
The broader concept
The specific integrations—Life360, Sleep Number, Ring, Bambu Lab, Google Maps, printers, smart-home devices, and others—are examples rather than the primary request.
The primary request is an architecture in which ChatGPT becomes my universal assistant and applications become tools available to that assistant.
As additional applications and devices are installed or connected, ChatGPT should be able to discover their supported capabilities and, with my permission, use them when necessary.
I should not have to learn a different AI interface for my car, printer, maps application, smart home, health devices, financial software, email, and every other product I own.
I want one assistant that understands me and securely interacts with those systems on my behalf.
Why this matters
I don’t want another collection of AI-enabled applications.
I want one intelligent assistant that can securely work across the applications and devices I already use.
The user interface becomes the conversation.
Instead of:
Open app → find information → close app → open another app → find more information → mentally combine everything → take action
the workflow becomes:
Ask ChatGPT → ChatGPT securely gathers the authorized information → reasons about it → answers or performs the authorized action.
I believe this is where a true personal AI assistant becomes dramatically more useful in everyday life.
ChatGPT shouldn’t just be another app on my phone.
It should be the intelligent interface between me and my digital world.
Product feedback should work the same way
This principle should even apply to improving ChatGPT itself.
If I have an idea while using ChatGPT, I should be able to say:
“Submit this as product feedback.”
ChatGPT should prepare a concise description of the idea, show me exactly what information or conversation context would be shared, allow me to approve or edit it, and then submit it directly to the appropriate OpenAI product team.
The user should not have to leave the conversation, locate a support website, determine which feedback category applies, copy the discussion, and submit it manually.
That is itself an example of what a universal assistant should do:
I state the desired outcome; ChatGPT determines the appropriate tool and carries it through with my permission.