Make ChatGPT My Single, Persistent Personal AI Across Devices and Services
I would like to propose a broader product direction for ChatGPT based on how I increasingly use it today: make ChatGPT my single, persistent personal AI, while allowing different hardware and third-party services to function as interchangeable interfaces and tools.
This is not a request for one particular device or integration. It is a request for an overall architecture that I believe could make ChatGPT substantially more useful as AI becomes integrated into more aspects of everyday life.
The idea
I currently use ChatGPT as my primary AI and increasingly rely on its memory, Projects, conversations, and accumulated context. I would like to continue building that relationship with ChatGPT rather than having to maintain multiple independent AI assistants for different products.
Ideally, I could interact with my ChatGPT account naturally from wherever I am—my computer, phone, home, car, or future devices.
For example:
“ChatGPT, what did we decide about this?”
ChatGPT could then use my existing, appropriately authorized memory, Projects, conversations, files, and other sources of information to answer me.
The device providing the voice interface should be an interface to my ChatGPT account, not a separate AI identity.
Hardware independence
I currently have Amazon Echo devices in two homes and an Echo Auto in my car. I use Alexa primarily because it provides a convenient voice interface, not because I am committed to Alexa as my long-term AI.
I would be completely comfortable continuing to use Echo devices if they became a good ChatGPT interface. I would also be happy to use dedicated OpenAI hardware or another device that OpenAI recommends.
The important principle is that my ChatGPT identity, personal context, and knowledge should remain portable and independent of the hardware manufacturer.
ChatGPT as the personal intelligence layer
I see an even broader opportunity beyond voice control.
There are already many excellent specialized systems that collect and store information about me or perform specific functions. I don’t think ChatGPT needs to replace all of them.
Instead, I would like ChatGPT to become the intelligence layer above those systems.
The key concept is:
ChatGPT doesn’t need to know everything. It needs to know me—and know where to retrieve the information it needs.
In other words, ChatGPT could maintain my personal context and understand where relevant information lives, then retrieve and reason over that information when I authorize it to do so.
For example, I use Garmin devices and Garmin Connect to collect years of fitness and health information. Garmin is very good at recording and storing the data. What I would like, however, is for ChatGPT to be the intelligence that helps me understand it.
Rather than having to become an expert in navigating every individual system, I would like to be able to ask ChatGPT questions such as:
“How has my cycling performance changed over the past several years?”
or
“What patterns do you see in my sleep, activity, and recovery?”
ChatGPT could retrieve the appropriate information from Garmin or other authorized sources and provide the analysis and context.
In this model:
Specialized services remain the systems of record.
ChatGPT becomes the personal intelligence layer that connects them.
I believe this could eventually become much more powerful than simply adding another AI assistant to each individual product.
Third-party services
I don’t expect ChatGPT to replace every specialized service. Instead, I would like ChatGPT to become the intelligent interface through which I interact with those services.
For example, I currently use Alexa for:
- Smart Life/Tuya home automation
- Ecobee thermostat control
- Shopping lists
- Pandora music
- Recipe lookup
- Voice interaction while driving through Echo Auto
I would prefer to tell ChatGPT what I want rather than maintain separate AI assistants for each function.
For example:
“Set the downstairs thermostat to 72 degrees.”
“Add coffee and milk to my shopping list.”
“Play Pandora in the kitchen.”
The underlying service could remain Tuya, Ecobee, a shopping-list service, Pandora, Garmin, or another specialized provider. ChatGPT would provide the consistent intelligence and conversational interface.
Privacy and access controls are essential
For this vision to work, granular user-controlled permissions are essential.
I would want to decide:
- Which devices can access my ChatGPT account
- Whether a particular device can access memory
- Which Projects are available
- Which files or knowledge sources can be accessed
- Which third-party services ChatGPT can control
- Which actions require confirmation
- Whether a device can access sensitive information
- The ability to revoke access at any time
For example, an Echo in my home might be allowed to use general memory and smart-home controls, while access to a particular Project could be restricted to my computer or explicitly authorized devices.
The user—not the hardware manufacturer—should ultimately control these permissions.
The larger opportunity
I believe this could differentiate ChatGPT from the growing number of isolated AI assistants being embedded into individual products.
Rather than creating:
Alexa AI + Car AI + Smart-Home AI + Shopping AI + Recipe AI + Garmin AI + ChatGPT
I would prefer:
One personal AI — ChatGPT — with controlled access to the services and devices I choose.
The AI would remain consistent across my computer, phone, home, car, and future devices.
The hardware would simply become an interface.
The specialized services would remain the systems of record.
ChatGPT would become the persistent intelligence that understands me and connects everything together.
I believe this could eventually make ChatGPT feel less like an application I open and more like a personal AI that is available wherever I am.
I am not asking for a particular implementation or for OpenAI to support Amazon specifically. I am suggesting the broader product direction:
Make a user’s ChatGPT identity, personal context, memory, Projects, knowledge, and permissions portable across devices and authorized third-party services.
I would strongly prefer this approach over having to maintain multiple independent AI assistants.
Thank you for considering this idea. I would be very interested in seeing ChatGPT develop in this direction.