Change registered phone number

How can I change the phone number linked to my account?

It does not seem to be possible in the account settings.

7 Likes

It doesn’t seem to be possible to change the phone number, email or name associated with an account. Actually, it doesn’t seem to be possible to change anything associated with an account.

I suppose OpenAI uses your phone number to determine if you still have the right to get the free credits, so to prevent you from gaming the system.

If they used the email, one could easily keep creating more OpenAI accounts with different emails, which are easy to create.

However, it should be possible to change the phone number of an account, if you initially choose the wrong one because, even if a malicious user tried to game the system, he/she would need to
get a new phone number/card, which usually costs (at least in my country). This is different from creating emails, which doesn’t cost.

Related posts

5 Likes

Yes, the phone should be able to change as there are many situations that one need to change the bonded phone number.

1 Like

the other case need to change phone number is when ingress organization account with diferents emails address (for use SSO)

You can request that from https://help.openai.com and clicking on the image icon in the bottom right, there you can enter your query and email address and a member of the support team will get back to you, it is very busy at the moment and may take several weeks to get a reply. You can also email support@openai.com and request the change there, again very busy so expect delays due to the sheer number of people joining and using the system.

You’re right, this capability should indeed be present, as most websites offer the ability to update initial information such as phone numbers, email addresses, and even passwords. This is done to enhance security and protect against hacking and unauthorized access.

ChatGPT, please ensure that this feature is incorporated into your updates for all users to enhance the security of their information.

1 Like