Various Uses for Sora - a question

Hello Openai team,

I want to ask a question. When using Sola, is it possible to use descriptive text to make the deceased appear on the computer screen? I hope grandpa can appear in front of my family again. We miss him very much. My grandma is almost 90 years old. I also want to see my deceased grandpa again while grandma is alive. She loved him very much.

Thank you

This is a question of digital life, and simply letting the deceased family members appear on the screen is now possible.

I’m very sorry for your loss. Thank you for posing such an interesting and existential question of what it means to be human.

I don’t know if we’ll be able to stop this use case, because it’s such a powerful longing for so many people to defy death and to bring loved ones back from death, but I’m personally very wary of it. I know we often look at photos and videos of our loved ones that are no longer with us, but generated artificial content feels like it’s crossing a line to me.

It takes us so long to grieve and start to move on with our lives as it is. Moving on is so hard, but I believe it is necessary, so that the people who remain alive aren’t stuck looping in the past. Feeling like you can bring someone back who sounds / looks JUST like the person you love and miss, but is actually just a computer simulation, is going to make coming to terms with their passing even harder than it already is. I feel equally wary about AI girlfriends. it’s our human nature to yearn for connection, love and intimacy, and it feels messed up to give someone a deepfake of something we want most, but ultimately is not there.

It’s also a question of consent and legacy. If someone is deceased, should we really be using their likeness to generate new content that feels like they have appeared again? To make their likeness say things or put them in simulated scenarios that they may not have wanted? If we do have a digital afterlife, I really hope it is regulated in some way, like how you have to give permission for your organs to be donated after your death.

Just sharing my thoughts, I appreciate this is a really sensitive topic. Curious to hear what others think.

1 Like

Your concerns are legitimate, but I think the difference between humans and AI is that we have emotions. Let AI play an auxiliary role in our lives, which is its own value. And if the person you miss appears on the screen without further development, there may not be too many sensitive points.

Yes, that’s what I thought, just let them appear on the screen。