Hello OpenAI Support,
I have a ChatGPT Pro subscription with the 20× usage allowance, and I urgently need help restoring access to my account.
After I signed out of all active devices and tried to sign in again, I became stuck at the identity verification step. SMS was the only verification method I had configured. I had not set up an authenticator app, passkey, or another backup verification method.
The only option shown is “Text message,” but it is disabled and says “This option is temporarily unavailable.” There is no alternative verification option available.
The browser’s Network panel shows:
Endpoint: POST /api/accounts/mfa/issue_challenge
HTTP status: 403 Forbidden
Error code: fraud_guard
Error message: “Unable to send a text message to this phone number”
This issue has now lasted more than 24 hours. I have contacted support and provided a screen recording, screenshots, and the error details, but I still have not received a working recovery solution.
One previous support reply stated that I had successfully configured an alternative MFA method. This is incorrect: I have not completed any such setup or received any recovery codes.
My paid subscription time continues to pass while I cannot access the service I am paying for. This has already cost me considerable time and disrupted my work.
Please have an account-recovery specialist review my case and:
- Investigate the fraud_guard rejection and restore SMS verification for my existing number, if possible.
- Otherwise, provide an official recovery method that does not require the unavailable SMS option.
- Give me a clear next step and an estimated resolution time, or a specific time for the next update if an estimate is not yet available.
I am willing to verify account ownership through your official recovery process. Please do not mark this issue as resolved until I can successfully sign in.
Thank you
