I’m trying to save some ChatGPT replies as PDF for later reading and sharing.
Right now, I usually copy the response into a document first, then export it as PDF. The problem is that the formatting often changes after pasting. Headings, lists and tables do not always stay clean.
For short answers, this is not a big issue. But with longer chats, I spend too much time fixing the document manually before saving it.
How do you usually handle this? Is there a simple way to move ChatGPT to PDF while keeping the result readable and close to the original formatting?
For your case, there are a few practical options you can try.
Ask ChatGPT to create a PDF file
In some ChatGPT sessions, you can ask it to generate a PDF file directly. You can use a prompt like:
Please turn this conversation into a PDF file and keep the formatting as close to the original as possible.
After a short while, ChatGPT may provide a downloadable file. This works best for shorter or more structured content, but you may still need to check the final layout.
Use the browser print feature
If you only need a quick copy for reading or archiving, you can use the browser print option.
Press Ctrl + P on Windows or Command + P on Mac, then choose Save as PDF. This is simple, but the formatting may not be perfect for long chats, tables, code blocks, or images.
Use a browser extension
There are also browser extensions that support exporting ChatGPT conversations to PDF. You can search the Chrome Web Store and find several options.
I tried ChatGPT Exporter by Backrun and found it quite fast and useful for saving longer conversations. It can export selected parts or the full chat, which is helpful when you do not want to save everything.
One note: because these are browser extensions, you should always review what permissions they request and what data they can access before installing. In general, extensions listed on the Chrome Web Store have gone through Google’s review process, but it is still worth checking the permissions yourself.
I have had trouble saving PDFs using Google Chrome on an Ubuntu PC. At present, I either (1) scrape text and put it in a text file , which won’t work for pictures or markup, or (2) just save the page itself, which creates an html file plus a corresponding files directory. That 2nd approach works well enough, provided I open the saved page using the same Google Chrome. If I try to open it using Firefox, the result is an unusable mess. I’m going to try Quy_Van’s suggestion and ask ChatGPT for a PDF.
If asking ChatGPT to generate the PDF doesn’t work well for longer conversations, you could also try the ChatGPT Exporter by Backrun extension I mentioned above. It may handle formatting and longer chats more reliably.
I was looking for a simple way to do this for a friend who wants to keep some of his ChatGPT conversations as PDFs. The main problem seems to be tables and code getting messed up when printing. A proper “Export as PDF” option from ChatGPT would definitely make this much easier.
You could also try “ChatExport - AI to Docs” app on iPhone/iPad. I was looking for a way to export larger ChatGPT conversations without losing the formatting, and it handles things like tables, images, and code blocks pretty well.
Might be worth trying if the regular export is messing up the formatting.
As @Quy_Van mentioned, using your browser’s Print → Save as PDF option is a practical way to save ChatGPT conversations, although formatting may vary, especially for longer chats containing tables, code blocks, or images.
Thanks as well to everyone who shared their experiences and suggestions in the thread.